4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 12:47 AM by Stefan Hanotin

Map two data sources onto a single symbol map

Stefan Hanotin

Hi all,

I am using Tableau 10.0.

I have two data sources (1 of schools and 1 of stores) that have a name column and longitude and latitude columns that I want to display on a symbol map. I want to keep the data sources separate as I don't want a filter on the first data source to deselect anything from the second data source when choosing a filter on the map.

In my schools data source I have 3 categories of school that are under a column header "Type". I want a filter on this column where the user can choose "Type 1" and the map to show the schools that are type 1 as well as all of the stores.

I need some sort of Dual Axis map, but I just can't seem to get this to work. I think I need a link between the data sources, but I don't want to lose any data by having a join that will omit data. I did also read online that I might need a Union of the data but I can't find a definitive answer.

My data is as follows (made up the Long and Lat data but you get the idea):

School Data:

Org IDName
      TypeLongitudeLatitude
      1School AType 1-5.3213234.234
      2School BType 3-5.2123154.232
      3School CType 2-3.343523.345

Store Data:

Org IDName
      LongitudeLatitude
      Store1Store A-5.4634342.324
      Store 2Store B-5.34345

Store 3Store C-5.3256244.213

In my map I want the schools to be represented as circles with 3 different colours representing the "Type" column.

I want the stores to be represented as squares of a single colour as they do not have a "Type".

Does anyone know a good way to achieve this. I'm struggling majorly.

Thanks,

Stefan.

Message was edited by: Stefan Hanotin to include packaged workbook

• 1. Re: Map two data sources onto a single symbol map
          Sarah Battersby

Hi Stefan Hanotin,

Here is one way to approach the problem - I used the Schools and Stores data that you provided and made a sample file (attached).  It has the school dataset and the store datatset unioned together (in the data source, just drag one table on top of the other and you'll see the Union dialog...).  That gave me a table with all schools and all stores.

In a worksheet I added the lat/lon so that I could see the map, then used the OrgID dimension to disaggregate so that I could see all of the rows.

To get different shapes for the schools and stores, I changed to a Shape mark type and then used Table Name to differentiate (Table Name is a dimension that was automatically created with the Union).  I set the schools to filled circles and the stores to filled squares.

To get different colors for the schools, I added the Type dimension to color and set store to one color, and the school Type 1, Type 2, etc. to three separate colors.

Finally, I added a filter on Type so that I could turn individual schools on/off.

-Sarah

Tableau Research

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Map two data sources onto a single symbol map
            Stefan Hanotin

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply on this, this is VERY close to exactly what I was after, however the filter on the Type dimension will remove the Stores from the view if Stores isn't selected.

"I want to keep the data sources separate as I don't want a filter on the first data source to deselect anything from the second data source when choosing a filter on the map."

This was the point I was trying to make above, I essentially want the filter to function like "Type 1 + Stores", "Type 2 + Stores" and "Type 3 + Stores".

Thanks,

Stefan.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Map two data sources onto a single symbol map
              Sarah Battersby

Hi Stefan,

I haven't been able to think up a way around this problem.  It sounds like maybe what you need is along the lines of this existing community request to hide values from filters? https://community.tableau.com/ideas/3846   If so, you should vote it up

-Sarah.

• 4. Re: Map two data sources onto a single symbol map
                Stefan Hanotin

Hi Sarah,

Yeah, you might be right. That could be the only way to get around my issue. I'm sure some clever things with sets or groups could help what I want to achieve but I am not confident of that.

Thanks again for your help.

Stefan.