7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 12:48 AM by Nagarajan R

Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary

Nagarajan R

Hi,

We were running on Tableau Server 9.2.6 and decided for 10.1.4 upgrade.

Our existing setup included

1) Primary (Gateway only)

2) Worker 1

3) Worker 2

4) BackUp Primary (for switch over and high availability)

In our case we had,

1) 9.2.6 installed in backup primary

2) Tested for switch over and HA (by copying tabsvc.yml and tabsvc folder from primary to its respective location in backup primary)

3) Shut down and rolled back to primary

As mentioned in notes/community, 10.1.4 Tableau Primary software installation will automatically detect previous versions, uninstall and install the newer version.

It also said to choose "Uninstall without taking a backup" option while upgrading on backup primary.

However the backup primary upgrade/installation failed saying "Setup cannot locate the backup file created by uninstall".

This raises the following questions

1) Should it always be a fresh Tableau installation (meaning manually uninstall previous  version from control panel and delete Tableau Server folder from its installation path?) on Backup Primary? and then follow the steps mention in below links

Create a Backup Primary

Switch to Backup Primary

Also in case of a fresh  installation, do we give any configuration details (like Tableau Service Account, SMTP details, Authentication etc) or let it take from tabsvc.yml file we copy as part of switch over process)?

2) If NO to above, during the Tableau 10.1.4 installation, do we need to select "Make a backup before uninstalling"? How does this work?

Your suggestions will be of great help!!!

Thank you

Nagarajan

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary

Hey Nagarajan,

You shouldn't have to manually uninstall Tableau Server 10+. When I've seen this issue in the past, the cause was that the Run-As User didn't have proper permissions to all directories on the workers or backup. I would verify the permissions, restart the machine, then try again:

Verify Tableau Service Settings

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/runas_svc.htm

Verify Folder Permissions

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/runas_confirm_read_ex.htm

Verify the Local Security Policy

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/runas_security.htm

-Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary
            Nagarajan R

Hi Diego,

I have all the necessary permissions on all Tableau Server machines (Original Primary, Workers & BackUp Primary).

I was able to compete the upgrade/installation on primary and workers successfully.

However my question was mainly around backup primary and its associated steps. The recommended process insists NOT to chose "Make a backup option" but how will back up primary continue with upgrade/installation.

Please refer to my original two questions above

Thank you
            Nag

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary
              Chris Crombie

I'm having this same issue.  Upgrading is proving to be a real pain in HA distributed.  Has anyone found a good work around?

• 4. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary
                Chris Crombie

It would be nice to see what is happening during the installation.  When I upgraded the primary, it automatically upgraded the workers as well and the installation went without a hitch.  However, when I upgraded the backup, I feel like it's also trying to upgrade the workers (but I can't see whether it did or not).  In my case it totally screwed up my original installation and now I have to re-install the primary and workers again.

I wonder if the installation procedure is assuming you've never failed over to backup (and thereby migrated your tabsvc.yml file).  Perhaps it's assuming you have the original tabsvc.yml file (set up for single node) on the backup.  Maybe that default file needs to be saved for upgrade purposes so it doesn't try to push an upgrade out to the worker nodes twice?

That's the only thing I can come up with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary
                  adam.freeman.2

So, a few points of interest here...

First, thanks for reaching out about this Diego. Always glad to help.

Next, we should consider the following:

• The error message "Tableau Setup cannot locate the backup file created by uninstall ..." is often associated with a change in bitness during install. When installing the 64-bit version of Tableau Server (where 10x and later is only 64-bit), the default install location is C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\<version> whereas the default location for 32-bit Tableau Server is C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\<version>.
                  • Though it is not necessary to perform a clean install on the backup primary, and therefore not needing a backup, if we switch bitness (32-bit to 64-bit) then the data is retained in ProgramData but the associated program files are in a different location. In this case, the repository typically being in the Tabelau Server/<version>/repository directory along with each process's executables.

I would also like to mention that I have yet to test the above scenario but have made this assessment given several documents we have posted internally which seem to have addressed associated issues which have been resolved. So I could be WAY off.

Finally, I'd like to ask a few questions about the server deployment overall. I have a concern with the following architecture (my thoughts will be in bold, italic font):

Computer 1) Primary (Gateway only)

This machine doesn't seem necessary. If this is the only gateway, then we do not have a real HA environment since this is a single point of failure. Otherwise, if all of the below have Gateways, then this machine is basically introducing unneeded network latency when taking requests.

Computer 2) Worker 1

Computer 3) Worker 2

Computer 4) BackUp Primary (for switch over and high availability)

Let me know if I read this description accurately. Otherwise, I hope this helps!

• 6. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary
                    Nagarajan R

Hi Adam,

While installing/configuring for distributed setup and HA we followed the recommendations given in the below link

Configure for Failover and Multiple Gateways

It suggested to have primary for gateway, cluster control and search only.

Are you saying this kind of setup will create latency issues?

• 7. Re: Tableau Server Upgrade to 10.1.4 - BackUp Primary
                      Nagarajan R

Hi Chris,

Like you said I went through the upgrade on primary and worker without any glitch, however upgrade on back up primary gave me an error saying "setup cannot locate the backup file created by uninstall".

The setup process got cancelled.

Then I did a fresh Tableau 10.1 primary file installation on back up primary machine. Before this installation I ensure to wipe off all traces of previous installation in back up primary. ie

1) uninstalled Tableau software from Control Panel

2) Manually deleted the Tableau Server folder from its installation path

3) restarted the machine

So it was a clean and fresh installation on back up primary.

Once it was installed the set up was like standalone single server installation on backup primary.

Then I followed the steps in "create back up primary" and switch over tableau links to test the whole process.

Testing was successful and again I switched back to Original Primary from Backup Primary.

Said all that I still have these two open questions (as mentioned in my initial question above)

"

This raises the following questions

1) Should it always be a fresh Tableau installation (meaning manually uninstall previous  version from control panel and delete Tableau Server folder from its installation path?) on Backup Primary? and then follow the steps mention in below links

Create a Backup Primary

Switch to Backup Primary

2) If NO to above, during the Tableau 10.1.4 installation, do we need to select "Make a backup before uninstalling"? How does this work?

"

Thank you