4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 5:23 AM by Mark Bradbourne

Tips to improve my viz

Karthik Venkatachalam

Hi,

I was asked to build a report to track hours spent in organization. Here is what I did with my draft and I am really unhappy with the low quality work I have done on the draft. I am seeking some feedback, tips and thoughts from you to make this from a "sh**ty" to "Nice!" workbook.

Looking for ideas/ improvements in...

- Symmetry and placements of the sub-views

- Organization - Left to right, top to bottom

- Struggling between "Summary and Details" all in the same view

- I am also struggling with deciding between more information vs less information. I am biased to give more.

- I don't like how 4 overshoots and ends right in middle of 2, unfortunately, 4 has 2 columns in dimension. Extending 4 all the way to end of 2, is not nice too.

- Can the bar charts be made prettier in 1,2,4?

- 3 looks odd on daily scale, with weekday bumps - but "weekly", "monthly" should have a neat line trend.

- 5 seems to take up space for details.

- Like my 6 and 7 which I would like to call as micro-charts with condensed historical information in it. (Call it sparkline without spark).

View itself is fast, and connects live, with up to the minute data.

Sorry I could not attach a workbook at this time.

• 1. Re: Tips to improve my viz
          Mark Bradbourne

The first thing I would do would be to remove the data labels and utilize the tool tips to provide the additional information/values. [1, 2, 3 and 4]

I'd try and move 6, 7 and 8 in-line with the selection options (under the time entry header

Possibly make 1, 2 and 4 dynamic and allow the user to switch between what dimension is being displayed

These are just a few options... I'm sure others with chime in.

-Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tips to improve my viz
            Karthik Venkatachalam

Thanks Mark! I will take your inputs and try to play with it.

My general philosophy has been - to make the user do very little work/ mouse clicks to get what they want.

Right after page loads user should be able to glance and get as much useful information as they can - Which is why I am label addict, you are right, may be am overdoing it. I will try to reduce label font size and change to lighter color, to see if doesn't over bear the graph itself.  Even then if it does, then I will remove it altogether. 

Eventually, it would be nice to have label density control - which can show say - 20% or 30% of marks, instead of all or nothing. min max approach we have today.

• 3. Re: Tips to improve my viz
              Mark Bradbourne

So how did it turn out? Can we get a before and after?

• 4. Re: Tips to improve my viz
                Karthik Venkatachalam

Hi Mark,

I didn't get much farther after. I changed fonts to Arial for Dashboard and worksheet. We added a filter, and a rolling 90 day parameter. Here is how it looks today.