3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 12:05 PM by Deepak Rai

Left-Join/Vlookup style Approach

Eoghan Lyons

Hi all,

I've seen various different ways of this question being asked but I can't quite get my head around it.

Essentially what I have is two data sources. One of which which is the database of records I will be building over time. There is a column in the database which gives the name of the product being sold. There is however, no record of the category this would fall under within this database. I would like to use another data source as a point of reference to look this up.

I attach a workbook with an example of what I mean. The database sheet has all the records within it. The Lookups sheet has the referenced lookup values. I'd like to show, in sheet 1, another section in the Rows (to the very left), the product code as a parent identifier.

I understand that a "Left-join" essentially does what a vlookup in excel does in this regard, but I can't seem to get my head around this here.

Can anyone help me out in resolving or alternatively stating that I'm barking up the wrong tree in my approach?

Many thanks, Eoghan