2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 2:16 AM by Béatrice LORIOT

Aggregation turn dimension into measure

Béatrice LORIOT

Hi all,

Having a silly moment here :

I have 2 data bases (which I can not join) coming from connector.

I'd like to add a dimension from the second table to the first one, but doing so dimensions turn into measure (which can not be changed).

Then I want to use the new dimension to sum IDs

Thanks for your help

KR

Béatrice

Primary data source2nd data source
      IDNameIDColor 1Color 2
      123Name 1123BlueDark
      234Name 2123BlueDark
      345Name 3123Blue

Light

When [color 1.2nd data source]= Blue AND [color 2.2nd data source] ="dark"
      then "abc"
      else"zzz"
      End
        • 1. Re: Aggregation turn dimension into measure
          Patrick Van Der Hyde

Hello Beatrice,

So the connector data source has to be an extract.  Can the second db be extracted?  If so, you should be able to do a join on a common Dimension. 

I assume that you want to link on ID value so 123 in the left primar db would have a one to many relationship with the right 2nd db on the same value. 

Data blending may not work with this however since dark/light are at lower levels of detail than the linking ID field.   Another option is potentially data blending but only including Dark values in one view and then creating a second view with only Light values..  two different views with totals in a dashboard.  This makes an assumption that you actually have just two values for color 2 and only one for color 1 but I am guessing there are many more. 

Joining the data or getting the data into a common DB that could be joined before exploring with Tableau would be my way forward with this.  It would make the analysis easier for you and likely easier to maintain. 

I hope that helps get you going.  If you have a workbook to share, please add it to the post and we can explore options. 

Patrick 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Aggregation turn dimension into measure
            Béatrice LORIOT

Thank you Patrick.

Unfortunately I can not share a workbook. Yes, I am trying to link on ID values. Because of the one to many relationship, I am trying to create this new calculated field.

If this is back and dark, then new value will be "blackdark". But doing so, the calculated field turns into a measure instead of a dimension "blackdark".

Have a great week and thanks so much for your time !