5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 7:43 AM by Simon Runc

Apply Dashboard Action based on selection using Paths Shelf

jennifer.bielak.0

Hi All,

When I click in the upper right hand corner to navigate through my trip to Cuba, I cant figure out why my dashboard actions don't filter the word cloud and the bar chart.

Thoughts?

Desktop Version: 10.0.1

• 1. Re: Apply Dashboard Action based on selection using Paths Shelf
          Simon Runc

hi Jennifer,

...me again!...I think I'm just drawn to travel Vizes (not been on Holiday since India last year, so this is the closest I can get!)

So I've not got a great amount of knowledge on the Pages shelf, as it doesn't work on Server...and most of my Vizes need to work in the web (and how it differs from the Filter shelf...but one this is that you can't apply it across data-sources as we can with a regular filter). I think this is the issue.

As such I've come up with a (potential) workaround using parameters...which should be fine as long as you don't intend to use the "play" feature. As parameters are global we can get them to affect all data-sources (there are other advantages too)

So first I created a parameter as per the below

Notice the real value passed is actually an integer.

In the map I created the following field and put this on the filter shelf and set to true

[Travel Order Filter]

[Travel Order]<=[Travel]

This means as we slide (as an integer parameter, we get the slider option - you can also mess around with the display to get it looking as you want), this has the same affect as the Pages

Next I created the following 2 calcs in the other 2 data sources

[Parameter to City]

CASE [Travel]

WHEN 1 THEN 'Havana'

WHEN 2 THEN 'Trinidad'

WHEN 3 THEN 'Varadero'

END

We need to change what it passed to the actual city here.

and then

[City Filter]

[City] = [Parameter to City]

I add these to both the Word Cloud and Bar chart filters and set to true.

Having a parameter also gives you much more flexibility as you can set up calculations (as I have here) against what is selected.

Hope this helps

• 2. Re: Apply Dashboard Action based on selection using Paths Shelf
            jennifer.bielak.0

So are you going to make a viz on your India trip?

• 3. Re: Apply Dashboard Action based on selection using Paths Shelf
              Simon Runc

Yes...although mine is more of an interactive holiday album!

Workbook: Our India Advizture

You can click on destinations, and it'll bring up a mini-map of there, where you can click on the picture icons (there's also some in-transit shots on the main map too)

I ended up making a simplified version (of my journey to work!) using them same (basic) template...and presented a webinar for Think Data Thursday on how I built it (and some of the tools/ticks I used to get the data and make it all work). The link to the YouTube recording is in the thread (and I've attached the final workbook too)

Think Data Thursday:  My Daily AdVIZture - August 25, 2016

Would have been cool to "jog" round the journey (as you've done)...I think I need to go on holiday to confirm the PoC!!

• 4. Re: Apply Dashboard Action based on selection using Paths Shelf
                jennifer.bielak.0

Man that's a great viz. What map service did you use? I like how the line follows the road. I haven't been able to recreate that.

• 5. Re: Apply Dashboard Action based on selection using Paths Shelf
                  Simon Runc

Thanks Jennifer, glad you liked it!

So it's just Tableau's maps (I would love to have used a satellite map via MapBox for the photo viewer, but ran out of time...I'll go back and do this one day!)...but you can play with the look and feel in the Map Layers option (the below is the set up for the India map)

In order to get the routes to follow the roads...I just used Google Maps, and got the point data out using a really cool web-tool called GPS Visualizer....I describe how to use it in this blog on how I built it

My Indian Advizture | The Data Animators

(there's also a link to a handy tool to extract Long and Lat from Photos...in balk)

and the TDT Video shows doing this (live) for my journey to work (Think Data Thursday: My Daily AdVIZture - 8/25/2016 - YouTube )...As it used Google Routes you can select the form of transport, so was able to follow exactly the roads or rails...

Looking forward to seeing your final version!