7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 8:08 PM by Chris McClellan

How do I create an input form?

Harry Chiam

Hi

I am trying to create an interactive form within a Tableau 10 workbook where users can choose from a drop down listing  # units (5, 10, 25, etc) and then calculated fields display gross sales, sales variances from last year, etc.

Thanks,

Harry

• 1. Re: How do I create an input form?
          Chris McClellan

(Hello from Sydney as well )

If your data already has # of units then you can use a filter.  If not, then you might need to create a parameter.  Either way, it filters your data so you can see the records that match the filter criteria.

If you have some dummy data it would be easier to show you how it works as well

• 2. Re: How do I create an input form?
            Harry Chiam

Chris,

Thank you.

What I am trying to do here is create a what-if analysis.

Say I have historical data for a widget selling 10 units a year and price is $1000/unit.

I want to create scenarios where a rep can enter a proposal for upcoming year to sell 35 units at a price of $900/unit.

How can I allow him to enter or choose 35 units and also choose new selling price $900?

Thanks,

Harry

• 3. Re: How do I create an input form?
              Chris McClellan

You can use parameters (see attached, built in 10.1) but you can't write/save the data that they entered.  Tableau is purely a data visualisation tool, not a data maintenance tool.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I create an input form?
                Harry Chiam

Chris,

Thanks.

I entered new numbers into the parameters in the workbook and saved the new file.

This helps me a lot!

Cheers,

Harry

• 5. Re: How do I create an input form?
                  Chris McClellan

That's OK, you have Desktop so you can save. 

If your users only have Tableau Server &/or Reader access they can't save.

If I've answered your question, please mark an answer as correct as this thread can get taken off the queue

Cheers

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I create an input form?
                    Harry Chiam

Chris,

I have an additional question.

I am using Tableau so that it is retrieving sales data from the server before the sale rep does any what if analysis.

In the example above, I retrieved data for 1 product, i.e. widgets.

If a rep sold 10 different products and sales for all 10 products were retrieved into a worksheet, is there any way to write code to create x parameters, i.e., to enter new units for each of x products retrieved where x may change from rep to rep?

Thanks,

Harry

• 7. Re: How do I create an input form?
                      Chris McClellan

Hi, there's no way to write code to create parameters at all.  Also, when they "enter" the values they can only visualise them - you can't write the data to anywhere from within Tableau.

If you want to do something like that, a good option is to create a webpage that embeds Tableau in part and the other part is the data entry part (written in anything you like) that writes the data back to the database.

Depending on where you are in Sydney, we can meet up to discuss if you want ? I'm in the CBD for the next few weeks.  Private message or email me if you want (details on my profile page)