2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 8:50 AM by Hiral Patel

Effective utilization of Tableau Products

Ben Hoa

Hello,

I have following scenario

my client doesn't want to invest much on tableau Professional License . They have purchased minimal tableau desktop (5) and tableau server (20) license.but their target audience (non mobile) is 240

They are asking if following possible

1. Tableau developer creates visualization in tableau desktop and publishes to Tableau server.

2. Tableau server updates tableau data source extract periodically

3. Using tabcmd the refreshed workbook will be downloaded(tbwx) and kept in common share folder so other users can read (tbwx)them using tableau reader.

Is it possible

PS. They are not interested in Tableau Public.

Sent from my iPhone 7

• 1. Re: Effective utilization of Tableau Products
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

hi Ben,

Yes it is possible in tableau.

Each desktop (5) license can use it in two systems.

The Tableau Server license allows up to three (3) activations of the same key: one production environment and two non-production environments, as defined in the End User License Agreement. The same product key can be used to activate the software in each environment.

1. Yes, Developer will develop reports in tableau desktop and publish to server, we can edit reports in tableau server using edit option.

2. Yes. tableau server will get updated data via scheduling extracts.

3.Yes, we can use tabcmd to export twbx wb into shared folder and share the dashboard to reader users.

Refer

Email subscriptions too.

Email Subscriptions

Thanks

sankar

• 2. Re: Effective utilization of Tableau Products
            Hiral Patel

Hi Sankar,

I have a question regarding the non-production activation of the key. We are looking to move the Tableau Server Software to another server location, and I was wondering if we could keep the old location and use it as a sandbox? I ask because I was reading that as per Tableau once testing is done, the license key must be deactivated.

Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, not an absolute expert.

Thank you very much.

Hiral