2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2017 10:10 AM by Navya Thumula

Period over period Calculations

Navya Thumula

Hello,

I have been trying to calculate period over period calculations. Requirement is something like this- I have a time selector filter Recent 4 week, recent 13 week etc.

If I select time selector as R4 week, I should get a view that shows the vale for recent 4 week period and the previous 4 week period. If I select time selector as R13 week, I should be able to compare values of current 13 weeks and previous 13 weeks.

And also how to implenet a filter that selects R4 week and R13 week.

Thanks & Regards

Navya

• 1. Re: Period over period Calculations
          Jim Dehner

Hi

See the attached t10.1 workbook

The approach is to create 2 parameters -

1. Start Date - use a  date - Weeks format
          2. Time Bucket - use and Integer format - the values are -4 and -13

Then you create 2 Calculated fields

1. Current period >>IF ([Ship Date])>(DATEADD('week',[Time bucket in weeks],[start date (week)])) and [Ship Date]<= [start date (week)]  then [Sales] END
          2. Past Period >>IF ([Ship Date])>(DATEADD('week',(2*[Time bucket in weeks]),[start date (week)])) and [Ship Date]<= (DATEADD('week',([Time bucket in weeks]),[start date (week)])) then [Sales] END

Let me know how that worked

Jim

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Period over period Calculations
            Navya Thumula

Hello Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I did the same thing and it works. But I had had one more interactivity to select week or month. So I have followed below steps:

1. created parameters- Period type (Week, Month) and length

2. Use a custom start date- I wanted this to be the max date in the data.

3. Created a calculated field to see the rolling period and previous period values:

IF DATEDIFF([Period Type],[Date],[Custom Date]) >=0 AND DATEDIFF([Period Type],[Date],[Custom Date])< [Period Length] THEN 0

ELSEIF DATEDIFF([Period Type],[Date],[Custom Date]) >= [Period Length] AND DATEDIFF([Period Type],[Date],[Custom Date]) <2*[Period Length] THEN -1

END

Thank you!

Regards

Navya