1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 217 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2019 2:24 AM by Theo W Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
        Kent Marten

Hi Michelle Kosmicki,

This might work for you or maybe I'm oversimplifying.

1. Build your dashboard with three maps
        2. On each map, go to Map > Map Options and turn off "Allow pan and zoom"
        3. Show the Filter control for Store_ID and apply to all using related datasources

Now the user cannot pan, and thus can never get out of sync with the other maps.  The question is, does your audience need to be able to navigate the map freely?

Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 31. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
          Michelle Kosmicki

I asked the Area manager the same thing! (Do you really need to pan around?)

I'd say in 90% of the mapping, everything is fine and I could possibly turn off panning. It's that other 10% that makes it an issue.

Should I file this under the 90/10 rule and call it a day?  LOL

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 32. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
            Shawn Wallwork

The thing I most like about this thread is that you (Kent) are experiencing (and ad hoc solving) all the work-around issues we've been challenged by for years. Your team has greatly improved maps. In fact I'd say this area has experienced the most 'enlightened' improvements, compared to the other various areas of Tableau I regularly work with.

So please explore/provide a few other 'workarounds':

-- Disable double-click zoom -- without also covering up tooltips for marks, and making mark selection impossible.

-- Allow the pinning of maps to remain even if there isn't a single mark after filtering is applied to the viz.

-- Allow the flyout: 'zoom selection', 'area selection', 'radial selection' and 'lasso selection' to remained pinned even if no marks exists in the viz after the user then applies filtering.

I guess what I'm saying is 'pinning' should simply be pinning -- no added logic needed.

Customers really don't like to see maps completely disappear because they clicked something.

--Shawn

Maps are very different from charts in this regard.

• 33. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
              Kent Marten

Ha! Michelle Kosmicki,

Call it a day! I've heard talk of supporting synchronized views, but to my knowledge it is not a near-term feature the visualization team is working on. If I find out more and can share it, I will.

Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 34. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                Kent Marten

Hi Shawn Wallwork,

Thanks for the nice words. Please know that we continue to work everyday to improve mapping and deliver valuable, easy-to-use features to Tableau customers. We have much exciting ground to cover. Stay tuned. On to your questions:

1. Please clarify your first bullet -- you want to disable double-click to zoom on maps? scatterplots too?
                2. Understood, I assume you want the current extent to remain, not fall-back to the entire world...
                3. Please clarify this one -- you want the View Toolbar to remain visible (floating) on the view, even when there are no marks?

Thanks again for your contributions to the community and regular, critical feedback Shawn. The product is better because of it.

Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 35. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                  Manideep Bhattacharyya

Hello Marten - Thanks for your response. Indian demographics data is off-course available with Govt. of India and they sell that data through various agencies. I know couple of them. Lepton Maps and Map My India are the prime agencies for such data. They will not provide the data to Tableau for free, but it is worth integrating that data with Tableau. This will certainly open doors for Tableau to many big CPG, Pharma, Automobile companies of India. You can have a different strategy for Indian client as well.

Well Offline Map is required. Although India has 4G connections, but Internet is still an issue and many companies uses internet through proxy servers. Because of the internet issues and slow dashboard rendering, then entire blame goes to Tableau (which is not the actual case). Offline Map atleast at City level is a necessity. We are even desperately looking for On-Premise Map solutions to tackle internet issues.

Hope I was able to give a glimpse of Indian scenario

Thanks,

Manideep

• 36. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                    mark cameron

Fantastic News!

I am trying to create a route based heat map. I have a large dataset 20,000+ points (lat, long) and would like to create a heatmap based on density of overlap. (I can import routes into a map without issue but cannot see a way to visualise a heatmap).

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

for example

Image result for city roads heatmap

• 37. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                      Jonathan Drummey

Hi Kent,

Regarding offline mapping in Tableau, we know the current set of offline map tiles that ship with Tableau are fairly limiting. We don't want to keep adding tiles or more detail until we can counter the effects -- which is a potentially massive size increase in the Tableau installer. So now I have questions . How critical is this for your work and business? Are you completely offline today?  Is this for clients/customers you work with? Help me understand your constraints.

I think most users can understand that Tableau doesn't want to make the installer too big.... so how about supporting the ability to download more after initial installation?

I've worked on a few projects where internet connections were spotty and adding a map to the viz caused serious slow-downs. One of them is the Tableau Foundation project http://visualizenomalaria.org, a few staff in Zambia have decent internet, most don't.

Jonathan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 38. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                        Kent Marten

Hi Manideep Bhattacharyya,

Thank you for your detailed response. I will consider this and how we can improve mapping for India.

Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 39. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                          James Colvin

Not to turn this into a troubleshooting thread, but here's something I'm running into right now.

I've created a map that shades counties based on whether our client has facilities located there. I'm using a parameter to allow the user to switch between different facility types.  Everything works dandy when the parameter is set to "Total", but when it's switched to any of the specific facility types a mysterious third shade appears (see attached images). I'm not sure what's going with it. Here's the code for the Calc Field I'm using for the color:

ISNULL([Facility Code])=FALSE AND

(

[Line of Business]=[Facility Type] OR

[Line of Business]="Total"

)

Any help or thoughts appreciated!

Category Specific Map.pngTotal Map.png

• 40. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                            Kent Marten

Hi mark cameron,

There is no built-in heatmap feature in Tableau. You can get close to the same effect with a few workarounds:

1. Simply adjusting the opacity setting on the color shelf produces a visual effect that conveys density of points
                            2. With a little bit of play in QGIS and Tableau 10.2's ability to read shapefiles, you can:
                              1. Open your csv/shapefile
                              2. Create a heatmap from points
                              3. Contour the raster output
                              4. Generate polygons from lines
                              5. Sort the shapefile output
                              6. Visualize in Tableau...

3. If you are in the industrious mood, you could probably use R- or Python- integration to produce a similar result.

4. An altogether different technique, but available in Tableau right now, is to use small bins (squares or hexagons) -- here is one of many resources you could look at on the subject of using hexbins.

My turn for a question. Mark, can detail why you want to use the heatmap, is this your preferred technique for a dense data or is this what your audience expects?

Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 41. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                              Rachana Karnik

Hi Kent:

I am a Tableau beginner working with maps on occasions. I'm looking for some guidance and directions with street mapping in Tableau.

• 42. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                                Kent Marten

Hey Jonathan Drummey,

I will say this, I like the idea (of downloadable tile sets). We've discussed several options including your suggestion.

Momentary tangent: Let's take one step back and look at all the requests that have been discussed on this thread. Quite frankly, I want to enable all of them, I really do. And here we are in the crux of software development, prioritizing what is most important for our customers, what is most important for our mission, and how to deliver quality capabilities more continuously.

Never stop asking for what you need or offering ideas on how to solve the problem.

Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 43. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                                  Kent Marten

Hi James Colvin,

This is an #AMA thread - let's troubleshoot!

My first observation is what color do you get when you blend blue and orange? Or what do you get when you stack many oranges on top of each other... darker orange?  It seems to me that there are overlapping marks. If it is possible to share the data, that would help me. Do you have any sense of the number of marks you expect (can you verify that there are overlapping marks by looking at the number reported in the sheet)?

Waiting for you to report back.

Kent

Product Manager, Maps

• 44. Re: Ask us anything about maps or spatial data in Tableau!
                                    Kent Marten

Hi Rachana Karnik,

We love beginners and welcome to the Tableau community! (Everyone please welcome Rachana)

What specifically are you referring to when you say street mapping?

1. Are you looking for streets in the background map?
                                    2. Are you working with a street dataset and you want to plot that yourself?
                                    3. Are you looking for more detail in the background map - street level detail that includes building footprints?
                                    4. Are you trying to plot addresses on a map?

I'll wait for you to clarify.

Kent

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next