3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2017 2:26 AM by Mark Fraser

Dataset aggregation or group by

giorgio donà

Hi all,

I need to change the aggregation view of my dataset. I make you an expample because the dataset I'm using is pretty big.

Customer IDShopSales
      FrancoRoma1123
      FrancoRoma22344
      FrancoMilano566
      ClaudioMilano3
      ClaudioVenezia32

I have a dataset like this one, with one record per shop and a lot of commercial variables.

I need to re-manage my dataset and have one record per CustomerID and aggregate all the other numeric variables ( like sales).

If it's not possible to manage the dataset how can I make a calculated field that, for example, sum all the sales grouping by customerID? Is it any formula for "Group by" ?

Thanks for the attention

Have a nice day

Giorgio

• 1. Re: Dataset aggregation or group by
          Mark Fraser

Hi Giorgio

For start - i would alsways try and get the lowest level of dat you can and worry about the aggregation in tableau.

tableau is set up for aggregating things liek this very easliy - as long as the data is set up and imported properly.

in order to aggregate you need to keep only the columns you need - tableau will aggregate left to right automatically.

you can do it via subtotal

or remove shop

and you can just add more items

hope that helps!

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: Dataset aggregation or group by
            giorgio donà

Hi Mark, thanks for your attention!

I show you my case so maybe you can help me with the real problem I'm facing.

In my database the max detail is the POD ( electric meter-box ) and for each one i have an energetic consuption, but the analysis detail i want to have is by ID_company. ( An ID_company can have different PODs with different energetic consuptions).

So, the problem is this one: I grouped the energetic consuptions in 9 classes ( <2, 2-25, etc.) and now I want to count dinstinct how many ID-company i have for each class.

I setted the view in percent of the total, but the total, as you can see, is not 100% ( but 153%) and i think it's becuase  a company can have 2 PODs and they can belong to differents classes so they appear twice in my bar charts.

I just want to aggregate the PODs and have my view having the ID_company as the maximum detail

Hope you understood what i'm meaning.

Thanks for your help

Giorgio

• 3. Re: Dataset aggregation or group by
              Mark Fraser

Hi Giorgio

My first reaction is partioning - you need to define the calcluation to restart/ partition based on POD

either partioning and/or LOD functions, you force the aggreation seperately for PODS within the same Id_company

will try and find something as a basic exmaple

Cheers

Mark