1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2017 7:52 AM by Eileen Keck

Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy

Eileen Keck

I have the reverse proxy set up windows 2012 r2  - I can connect to tableau and see my projects - I can go into the project and see the worksheet but when I try to click on the worksheet I get  Server Error in '/' Application Any help is appreciated. - totally frustrated.

• 1. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
          Eileen Keck

I should have mentioned we are on 10.0 on a windows 2012 r2 vm

• 2. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
            Russell Christopher

Hi Eileen -

Sorry you're having a rough time. You didn't mention what (if any) changes you made to Tableau Server. If you forgot to tell Tableau Server that it's going to be working with a reverse proxy, things won't work very well for you. Can you take a look at this and reply back to everyone with what you configured for each setting?

Configuring Proxies for Tableau Server

(on a semi-related note, I've always had trouble with IIS as a reverse proxy. I managed to get one working a long time ago just to prove to myself I could make it work, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. Most find Apache much easier).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
              Eileen Keck

This is brutal - I have followed the steps as outlined in the help documentation I can sign on and see the worksheet but when I try to view it it errors out. 400 error.

• 4. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                Russell Christopher

If you followed the steps on the "Tableau side", then the next step is to make sure that IIS (acting as the reverse proxy) is including all the information that Tableau needs.

These include:

• REMOTE_ADDR and X-FORWARDED-FOR (XFF). Tableau Server needs these headers to determine the IP address of origination for requests.
                • HOST and X-FORWARDED HOST (XFH). These headers are used to generate absolute links to Tableau Server when it replies to the client.
                • X-FORWARDED-PROTO (XFP). This header is required if you are running SSL at the proxy, but not on Tableau Server. As noted, we recommend running SSL on each hop.

Have you validated that IIS is including all of these? I'm by no stretch an IIS expert, but I don't believe it does so (for all of them) by default. For example a quick search for X-FORWARDED-FOR in Google for shows me blog entries detailing how to ENABLE the header, which I assume means it's not on by default and must be turned on.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                  Eileen Keck

Yes i have all three - configured I can sign on  and view my workbooks and I can look at the views but as soon as I click on the view I get the error message. Is there a js handler that I have to load or a html page - besides basic "this is my html page" in order to run the POST /vizql/w/Superstore_test/v/Overview/bootstrapSession/sessions/   it errors out.  It seems as soon as the bootstrapsession is there - do I need to load something to enable it. This is burning me out - as soon as I figure it out I am posting the steps so someone else does not have to go through what I have gone through.

• 6. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                    Russell Christopher

Hey Eileen -

I think all you're doing is attempting to interact with a viz inside Tableau's portal. (You're not embedding or trying to inject your own logic into the rendering process, etc.)  If that's the case, there's nothing that you need to do. Just verifying since you're talking about running a POST on the session - you don't do that, we do.

At this point, it's probably best for you to open up a case with support. While they don't help configure and/or give instructions on how to setup 3rd party reverse proxies, they can assist in terms of telling you what's wrong from Tableau's logs.

Normally, this stuff "just works", so I'd bet one or more of the following is in play:

• You *think* that all the necessary headers are being applied by IIS, but one isn't
                    • There is something ELSE in your network infrastructure that requests are flowing through and IT isn't also configured to use / honor these headers

When things get nutty like this, support will generally have you use something called Wireshark to trace what's going on on the wire itself.  If you have network folks on your side, you're probably going to want to get them involved at this point to - I suspect you have something going on in the network enviornment if the server itself worked fine (did it?) until the reverse proxy was introduced.

• 7. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                      Eileen Keck

Hi Russell

I have reached out to support with no luck- extremely unresponsive.

• 8. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                        Russell Christopher

What's the case number? I'd be happy to ping a few folks I know in that group.

• 9. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                          Eileen Keck

02718332 apparently someone closed and reopened it but I never got a call - one person said they tried but they were in Ireland - this is the last obstacle and I have this working - I have people breathing down my neck to get it done , have been working till 8:00 at least every night and not response - it has been frustrating. You can see from my posts I am struggling. I have fiddler and wireshark on my machine trying to figure it out. Feeling kind of alone out here - thanks so much !!!!!

• 10. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                            Eileen Keck

Once I get it working I will add a post with the steps necessary - it is IIS working with the apache server for tableau

• 11. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                              Russell Christopher

I did IIS once and it was a terrible experience. This was years ago, in response to someone else who struggled with IIS on the forums - I was just curious "how bad can it be?"

I vaguely recall not being able to get it to work without "dumbing down" what IIS was doing substantially. For example, I wanted my rewrite rules to be more "dynamic", and ended up hard-coding lots of stuff instead. By the time I was done I was pretty disappointed but the goal was to prove that it "could" be done. I promptly went back to using httpd-apache and AWS-ELB.

Maybe you could just use something like squid or tinyproxy instead? (probably not, had to ask. I recall support people discussing how big of a PITA using IIS was to do this work)

• 12. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                                Eileen Keck

No - they are using this reverse proxy for several web servers. I can get it to work with a redirect - can I change apache httpd on the tableau server to use a friendly name if it is a redirect? That would work too.

• 13. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                                  Pradeep D

Hi Eileen,

Have you had any luck in setting up reverse proxy and using it ? If you did, please share your experience. We are planning to implement  the same in our enterprise.

Thanks in advance.

Pradeep

• 14. Re: Any experience setting up iis reverse proxy
                                    Eileen Keck

Yes! I have the reverse proxy working with ssl – I am on my last piece to get SAML working with ADFS and we are ready to go live. Be sure on the IIS to have you application setting to .NET… That was something that took a long time to figure out. You set your site up. I do ssl on the Tableau server. Feel free to reach out with any issues you run into – I probably have figured them out by now☺ I will have the SAML figured out in the next couple of weeks – just don’t have time at the moment due to a go-live. I am pretty confident of the steps that need to be taken and tableau support is very supportive. Good luck – you can do this and the victory is sweet!

1 2 Previous Next