1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 2:56 AM by Sankarmagesh Rajan

Refresh of Live dashboard

Sanket Deshpande

Hi all,

I have a slight confusion regarding Live Connection refreshes.

• I have a dashboard which has 4 live connected tables
      • When i open the dashboard on Tableau server , what data does it display to me?  The current refreshed data or the data which i had refreshed earlier.
      • I am displaying data update time on top of the dashboard. When i open the dashboard on server for the first time ,this time shows me "last refreshed time" and not the current (now) time.
      • Do i need to Hit refresh again on opening the dashboard for the first time as well?

Regards,

Sanket

• 1. Re: Refresh of Live dashboard
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Sanket,

When we use the live connections then tableau server will show updated data in view.

We also change the settings in tableau server configuration for refresh.

Refer

"Live connections offer the convenience of real-time updates, with any changes in the data source reflected in Tableau. But live connections also rely on the database for all queries."

User the now() in calculation and add in view and get latest date in view.

To configure caching, select from one of the following options: :

• Refresh Less Often—Data is cached and reused whenever it is available regardless of when it was added to the cache. This option minimizes the number of queries sent to the database. Select this option when data is not changing frequently. Refreshing less often may improve performance.
          • Balanced—Data is removed from the cache after a specified number of minutes. If the data has been added to the cache within the specified time range the cached data will be used, otherwise new data will be queried from the database.
          • Refresh More Often—The database is queried each time the page is loaded. The data is still cached and will be reused until the user reloads the page. This option will ensure users see the most up to date data; however, it may decrease performance.

Thanks

sankar

2 of 2 people found this helpful