3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 3:55 PM by Tom W

Room Utilization Calculation

Aaron Valleroy

I am currently working on a project and hit a barrier.  I need to calculate room utilization.  I have 8 rooms (7 of the rooms operate between 7:30 am to 3:30 pm and 1 room operates 7:30 am to 5:30 pm).  I have the total time for room usage but unsure how to write the calculation to get % utilization per room.  Any thoughts,

I added the workbook above

• 1. Re: Room Utilization Calculation
          Chris McClellan

So you've got the time that each room operates, you will also need to total the booked/blocked time for each room for the day, Any chance you can supply some sample data ?  The actual answer would depend on if you see each meeting in the day or just the total hours booked vs available for the day.

• 2. Re: Room Utilization Calculation
            Aaron Valleroy

Chris.  I am currently away from my computer but I can tell you that the data I have is start time and end time for each meeting in each room.  My analysis is an attempt to get overall utilization for all 8 rooms and utilization on each individual room.   I will try and upload sample data tomorrow if possible.  Thank you

• 3. Re: Room Utilization Calculation
              Tom W

You've noted you have the total time the room is in usage, I assume that's per room, expressed in minutes?

If so, all you need to do is take the SUM of usage in minutes / Sum of available minutes.

Something like;

Utilization = SUM([MinutesBooked])/SUM([AvailableMinutes])

MinutesBooked = datediff('minute',[Meeting Start],[Meeting End])

AvailableMinutes =

{FIXED [Room Number]: MIN(

If [Room Number]<= 7 then 480   //Open 7:30 to 3:30pm

else 600                        //Open 7:30 to 5:30pm

end

)

}