2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 11:49 AM by Don Wise

Help filtering out data

Don Wise

...need some help with the sample screen shots...   I'm not able to filter out single incidents from a table for some reason and I usually don't struggle with this type of situation. 

I need to have a view in table format (and I'm not used to working in this format) which shows location of medical incidents, then historically by date whether there were multiple incidents at that location, then whether the patient was transported or not, in date order.  I have the layout done, but for some reason I'm unable to create a calculation that filters out the single incident instances from the table. I've tried numerous ideas from different posts (i.e., Window_Count), but not getting anywhere with it. I've also tried simpler filtering methods such as COUNTD(IN1) and COUNT(IN1) and only get "1" as a result of the count within the table; Tableau isn't seeing the partition where there are multiple incidents related to one location for some reason? I was hoping to get a count of greater than 1 incidents and be able to filter out anything equal to 1 and only show greater than 1.

I also need to provide an age (number of days) between incident events for the particular location.  I'm using Tableau 10.1 (latest ver.)

This is the view/display I need to get to...I had to "hide" numerous rows to reflect this final draft format:

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 4.23.19 PM.png

This is the original view with rows not hidden:

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 4.23.15 PM.png

And an attempt to filter on IN1 (unique incident number):

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 4.30.39 PM.png

Unfortunately the workbook is too large to be attached as it contains just over 60MB of data.  Thanks in advance for any direction anyone can provide me...

• 1. Re: Help filtering out data
          HauWei Lee

Good day Don, I've created a test data based on my understanding on your question.

Hope that the below function introduced would be able to help.

{ FIXED [Location]:sum([Number of Records])}

Then filter >= 2

Tableau Fixed.png

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Help filtering out data
            Don Wise

HauWei Lee,

Thank you!  Unfortunately the LOD didn't play out against my data. For every transaction within an incident (there can be many unit responses within an incident) there is a record for each unit response.  And when I applied your calculation against the data, it revealed that issue which then helped to redirect my thinking.  So, regardless, you inspired me to try something else and that resulted in the following screenshot, which is working!  So thank you for the inspiration!  Don

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 11.41.56 AM.png