4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 9:04 AM by Jamieson Christian

Trying to create a Gantt chart aligned on one x-axis

Simone Betito

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a Gantt chart similar to something like this:
      gantt chart tableau.png

I'd like one seamless timeline (preferably on a quarterly basis) for the x-axis as shown above but the data I have (filtered for confidentiality) keeps separating into different measures rather than one defined timeline.

Does anyone know what I can do to remedy  this? I've attached the file below (version 10).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Trying to create a Gantt chart aligned on one x-axis
          Jamieson Christian

Simone,

Here is the thought process I went through:

1. In order to build a Gantt chart like this, you will need to overlay two synchronized axes, one a Gantt chart, the other a Shape chart.
          2. This means that the Shapes will need to be powered by Measure Values, in order to generate several shapes from different columns in your data.
          3. Measure Values only allows Measures in its shelf. Dates cannot be measures. Well drat....
          4. In order to compensate, you can create calculated fields that convert the dates to numbers, so that you can use those as true Measures.
          5. You can format a number as a date on the axis/tooltips, and it will still show the proper date.

Okay, so here's what I did to set it up:

1. Create calculated fields for each of your dates (including the one that drives the Gantt bar) to convert them to floating-point numbers.

2. Put [Gate01L num] on the Columns shelf to drive the Gantt chart (replacing the [Gate01L] you were using before). Put [Measure Values] on the Columns shelf as well.

3. In the Measure Values shelf, remove all the fields except the 3 fields that will be used to generate your shapes.

4. Change the chart type for the Measure Values to Shape, and use [Measure Names] to configure the specific shape and color for each shape.

5. Configure the [Measure Values] on the Columns shelf to be Dual Axis, turn on Synchronize Axis, and then turn off Show Header.

6. Format the remaining axis, and under the Axis tab, in the Scale section, change the Numbers format to an appropriate date format.

7. The end result (if I didn't gloss over the steps too badly) should look something like this:

I've attached a sample workbook. It's in version 10.1.4, so you may not be able to open it (sorry).

• 2. Re: Trying to create a Gantt chart aligned on one x-axis
            Simone Betito

Hi Jamieson,

Thank you so much for your in depth reply.

Did you adjust the tick marks in any way? I wasn't able to open your attachment file. My end result doesn't look much like yours. What am I doing wrong?

Any way I could also convert the MMM YY to Quarter units?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Trying to create a Gantt chart aligned on one x-axis
              Jamieson Christian

Simone,

Edit the axis and turn off "Include zero" and you should be good to go.

• 4. Re: Trying to create a Gantt chart aligned on one x-axis
                Jamieson Christian

For quarters, you can try changing the Format of the pill that is generating the visible axis to something like this:

Makes the axis look like this:

Is that what you're looking for?