I guess the table name is getting changes in the database. The specified table causing the error message has been renamed in the data source. Please check that and do the appropriate changes .
The table is not getting renamed.
It works on Tableau Desktop but not once it is published to server.
None of them would work if the table would get renamed.
Can you post the data connection screenshot of cloudera tableau which is connecting tableau desktop.
We have had the same issue. We believe it was because of the Cloudera Session Timeout we added to our environment. What we have done to correct this issue is to create a new port for ONLY tableau connections to use and turned off the Session timeout. We have been using this solution for a few days now and have not see any table not found issues on our Tableau to Hadoop connections.
If you have any follow-up questions of how we did our solution please let me know.