1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 1:53 AM by Ghouse Shaik

Authentication Options

Elevator Jones

Edit: I accidentally clicked "Marked as Assumed Answered". It is not actually answered   Fixed ~Toby

Hello,

I am trying to find authentication options for logging into Tableau Online to see Tableau views. This is the situation:

1. User logs into a web site/web app I am currently building using normal email/password credentials specific to my site.

2. After log in, user is able to see a list of Tableau views (I am using the REST API to query information about workbooks available to the specific user -- GET /sites/site-id/workbooks/workbook-id/views)

3. A user clicks on one of the items in the list and is taken to a page with an embedded Tableau view.

As far as I know, the user would be asked to authenticate to Tableau Online in order to see that embedded view. Is that correct?

My hope is that I can show the embedded view without making the user log in to Tableau Online after already being logged into my site. Are there any other options to accomplish that?

I have access to the user's Tableau Online username and password so that I can make API calls. I am authenticating at the REST API's /api/2.4/auth/signin endpoint. Can I somehow use the auth token I get from that call to avoid needing to log in through the UI?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.