4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 8:11 AM by Gonzalo Yague

How to map unrecognized provinces

Gonzalo Yague

Dear all,

I have an csv file with a field called "Province", among others, and would like to fill a map with its values (they are provinces from Spain).

Unfortunately, Tableau only recognizes Madrid as a Province. I have introduced the longitude and latitude of some of them but obviously they appear just as a point and no as a surface.

Please find attached the csv data source and the tableau file where you will find further details.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me solve this issue. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Gonzalo

• 1. Re: How to map unrecognized provinces
          Tharashasank Davuluru

HI Gonzalo Yague ,

Try to use custom geo coding process (there are some free ones where you can just paste your locations in on a web page and they will return back to you) and then just use that information to map your locations.

Please refer to the below links:

Custom Geocode Your Data

Custom Geocoding

https://www.interworks.com/blog/ktreadwell/2012/11/01/adding-custom-geocoding-tableau

Thanks,

Tharashasank

• 2. Re: How to map unrecognized provinces
            Anna Cheetham

While sometimes you  might need to resort to custom geocoding, happily in this example there is a much simpler solution.

Tableau's geographical regions use a set terminology that doesn't work in every country - how could it ever do so when different countries use such different names to describe their regions (states, provinces, counties, regions, and that's just in the English language!).  It does its best to guess which geography level your fields are referring to but in this case, it's got it wrong.

You need to tell Tableau that your "Province" field is not a State/Province but in fact a "County".  To do this is very simple - right click on the "Province" field, go to "Geographic Role" and change it to "County".  Hey presto, your provinces should now show beautifully on the map.

In case any don't quite work, you may sometimes need (although it doesn't look like you do in this case) to go "Map" "Edit Locations" and see if any have not mapped - then you can click in the "Matching location" column and see the list of options.  I find that in Europe, Tableau will sometimes use the native language versions of geography names, sometimes the translated English versions and sometimes a mix of the two and sometimes it will recognise the other language version and sometimes it won't and then you have to map it manually.

Happy mapping!

Anna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to map unrecognized provinces
              Glenn Kuly

Hi Gonzalo, here's a thread from from the Tableau forum specifically about mapping the provinces of Spain:

https://community.tableau.com/message/322730

The thread contains a link or two to programs you can use to convert shapefiles into polygons usable for custom mapping in Tableau.

-- Glenn

• 4. Re: How to map unrecognized provinces
                Gonzalo Yague

Hi all,

I would like to thank all of you for your replies.

Anna Cheetham , I followed your instructions and it works. You have explained it in great detail. Highly appreciated!

Tharashasank, thank you very much for the links. They are very interesting and probably useful for other cases I have to work on.

Glenn Kuly , thank you for your link as well. Definitely I will take a look.

Best regards,

Gonzalo