2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 7:30 AM by Isa Saramago

Tooltips - too many calculated fields?

Isa Saramago

Hi again!

In this tutorial about tooltips, see Step 2: Create calculated fields to show numerical percent.

I can't understand the need for this step when we have already 2 Calculated Fields containing the formula that satisfies this wish, namely:

When we calculate the string field to show the remaining percentage for a bar, we use (RIGHT("character string", 100-(ROUND(SUM([Your cohort calculation])/SUM([Measure])*100)))) .

Isn't the second part of the formula already showing the numerical percent of the value?  Why then we have to calculate another calculated field (Furniture Percent #) to show this? The part I'm referring to is (ROUND(SUM([Furniture Sales Cohort])/SUM([Sales])*100,0).

And we also use this formula to calculate the very first string field to create the cohorts calculation.

Can't understand the redundancy.

(I can't attach a packaged workbook as it is too large...)

Thanks in advance!

Isa

• 1. Re: Tooltips - too many calculated fields?
          Jamieson Christian

Isa,

Reading through the tutorial, I can see where some efficiencies can be driven by utilizing [Furniture Percent #] et al in the other calculations. The tutorial was designed to improve readability by minimizing the dependencies between calculated fields. I recommend that you implement the tutorial as-is and then experiment to see where you might be able to skip steps or streamline your formulas. I don't believe you're going to be able to skip steps completely — it appears that every calculated field is needed to fulfill a unique function — but you can certainly find opportunities to streamline the calculations somewhat.

Good luck!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tooltips - too many calculated fields?
            Isa Saramago

Thanks for the tip, Jamieson!

Best regards

1 of 1 people found this helpful