2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2019 5:54 AM by Yaron Lirase

Slowness in copying admin bundle to worker ?

Yaron Lirase

Hello All,

I am trying to launch a temporary distributed Tableau infrastructure on AWS.

Unfortunately, always when I configure the worker, the process of copying the admin bundle (worker.zip) to the worker takes extremely long (over 10 hours).

I have performed network tests between the Primary & Worker servers.

By using iperf I see the network speed is very good (1.02 Gbits/sec).

This test was also conducted on the ports used by Tableau for copying the files (ports: 51237, 5146 and just in case port 80).

I can see that during this process, the network utilization on both Primary & Worker is at a bare (and so are other resources such as CPU, Memory etc.)

Therefore it does not seem to me like a Network issue, but perhaps a problem with Tableau.

Some details of the architecture:

* Both EC2 instances are setup in the same availability zone, same SubnetId

* All ports are open between the servers.

* The hostnames are resolved to the VPC private IP addresses (to ensure the communication is done using the private IP only)

* OS - Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit)

* Worker has the following Tableau options selected: 2 Backgrounders, 2 Cache Servers & Gateway enabled

Each time the Tableau Initialization Progress seems stuck in the step: "Sending admin bundle to worker #1".

However if I check the folder C:\ProgramData\Tableau on the worker, I can see it is receiving the file worker.zip, but extremely slowly.

Has anyone experiences a similar issue? I can provide more details if needed.

Thank you in advance to any help,

Yaron