2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2018 2:48 PM by Mark Wu

Site Admin vs. Project Leader?

Shawn Wallwork

Simple questions. Can someone tell me what a Site Admins can do that a Project Leaders can't?

This was the response we received from IT when we asked them to create a Site for us: "What can't you do now that you want to do?"

Russell Christopher what's the best answer to this question? Considering our previous conversation.

--Shawn

• 1. Re: Site Admin vs. Project Leader?
          Donna Coles

Hi Shawn

The core difference is that a site admin has the rights to manage content/permissions across all the projects in a site, whereas the project leader has the same capabilities but only on the project they've been associated to. I imagine you've seen the below...

Capture.JPG

What are Project leaders - Projects and Content Permissions

So in practice, the Project leader can

- view all content in the Project

- set permissions for the content in the project

- delete content in the project (owned by others)

- change owner for content in the project

- move content into another project (providing they've got project leader capabilities on that project too)

The only thing I can think that they can't do, is that a site admin would also have control over the creation/deletion of groups and users on the site.  Note, a site admin would also be able to all the stuff a project leader could do in the project, so you couldn't 'hide' content from the site admin by putting it in a project with a project leader.... I vaguely recall your other thread was all about controlling who could see what...

Hope that helps a bit...

Donna

4 of 4 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Site Admin vs. Project Leader?
            Mark Wu

I know that this is not a new topics but I wanted to add a few more things between project leaders vs site admins.

Project leaders can do all the followings for the contents within the specific project that a site user is project leader of:

1. Change extract refresh schedule
            2. Modify any workbooks (web edit or re-publish)
            3. Change workbook owner
            4. Change data source owner
            5. Change data source user/password
            6. Delete workbooks
            7. Change workbook or data source permissions
            8. Move workbook from one project to  another if the user is project leader for both source and target projects.
            9. Lock or unlock project permission
            10. Certify or uncertified data sources (10.4 and above)
            11. Create or delete sub project folder(10.5 and above)

Site admins can do all the above plus the followings that project leader can't do:

• Admin views of the site - visibility of all the workbooks, data sources, tasks, schedules, users, groups, usage, view render time, disk space, etc within the site
            • Create/delete project as mentioned in Dona's reply
            • A lot of REST API functions are only available to site or server admins
            • Manage users if server admin gives this permission to site admins

Read more about Project Leaders @ my blog  Feature Adoption - Project Leader - Silicon Valley Enterprise Tableau User Group

1 of 1 people found this helpful