6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 3:46 AM by Ville Tyrväinen

Gazillion Containers...

Shawn Wallwork

So I originally posted this in an out of the way place (the end of the Autosave Idea); so I thought I'd post it here in a less (?) out of the way place Viz Talk. (When did Viz Talk become so hard to find?)

Here's the question:

When my clients use Tiled layouts to build Dashboards why do you add a 'gazillion' tiled layers of hierarchy?

No client in their right mind would go to the trouble of doing this on purpopse. So what's up with this?

Cheers,

--Shawn

(OK, maybe I just love the word Gazillion.)

• 1. Re: Gazillion Containers...

Hey Shawn,

Solid question, I also cannot imagine this being a useful way to format things. Hopefully this post gets some good responses to this question!

-Diego

• 2. Re: Gazillion Containers...
            Shawn Wallwork

As Jonathan Drummey pointed out on another forum, this may be an artifact of newer users attempting to drag and drop charts with a higher than usual failure rate. I'm not altogether convinced this is the cause of this long container-in-container chain. But even if it is, Tableau shouldn't allow this to happen. Personally I consider this to be a 'bug'. It certainly can't be 'expected behavior'! And if it is, well, then I'll just stop reporting bugs completely.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Gazillion Containers...
              Bill Lyons

I've never seen anything anywhere near that long, but I have seen some in things I have done that were nested 4 or 5 deep. It appears to be the unintended consequence of repeatedly rearranging sheets in the dashboard. Tableau automatically creates container objects when you insert sheets above or beside other sheets. If you then move that sheet somewhere else, that container remains behind. When you insert another one, it may create another container when one is unnecessary.

I do agree that if Tableau is going to automatically create containers, it should also automatically remove them when they are unnecessary. At the very least, it should use an existing container if one exists, rather than inserting another one inside it.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Gazillion Containers...
                Shawn Wallwork

Bill I'm with you on this. I would only add that: "It appears to be the unintended consequence of repeatedly rearranging tiled sheet on a dashboard." And I suspect that is what Jonathan was alluding to. One thing I found interesting was that once I managed to right-click and 'float' every object at the end of the chain, the chain simply removed itself. That was a nice discovery.

Anyway, thanks for the explain, I better get what's going on.

Cheers,

--Shawn

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Gazillion Containers...
                  Bill Lyons

One thing I found interesting was that once I managed to right-click and 'float' every object at the end of the chain, the chain simply removed itself. That was a nice discovery.

That is a VERY nice discovery! Excellent trick to clean things up. Thanks for that!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Gazillion Containers...
                    Ville Tyrväinen

One way to create same problem Containers remain there unless you remove them or float objects.