5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 12:38 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

Need Further Assistance with Setting Up Panel Chart

Cecilia Mahdi

I'm working on trying to set up panel/trellis charts for patient weights data.  It would look similar to a medical growth chart, except without the curves.  I've looked at other's work and tried to use the same formulas in my workbook to produce the desired display of the panel charts.  However, it is just not working no matter how many times I redo the charts.  I must be missing something and I am reaching out the Tableau Users Group to see if someone can assist me with this concern.  I've attached a sample packaged workbook for further review.  It appears that what I've come up with is grouping or "bunching" all patients within the weight range, instead of see individual boxes for each patient and displaying their assigned weights.

The goal is to be able to display the weights (using the Weight field) as the Y-axis and the Age In Days or Age In Months as the X-axis. The weights should be displayed per patient (using the Data ID which identifies the patient -- this is a sample ID).  The goal is to be able to view several to 100s of growth charts on the screen.  I'm currently using Tableau Desktop version 10.1.3.

Is there anyone available to assist me with this panel chart?

Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Need Further Assistance with Setting Up Panel Chart
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Cecilia

Is this what you want to accomplish?

Thanks,

Shin

• 2. Re: Need Further Assistance with Setting Up Panel Chart
            Cecilia Mahdi

Hello Shinichiro:

Thanks for the update.  The overall image looks good in terms of the columns and rows (grid).  What I am trying to accomplish is to display any weight values associated with a patient (the Data ID field identifies the patient) into one box. For example, patient with Data ID #1 has five weight data values.  This data should appear in the first box with five circles (so to speak).  The five circles will represent the weight values for that particular patient.

The next box should show patient with Data ID #2 with two weight values (two circles).  And this process continues throughout the panel charts for the remaining patients in a column/row grid-like fashion.  The first row would display individual patients per column with their weight values.  Overall, I should be apply to view several patients growth charts at a time on the screen.

Does that make sense?  Any help is appreciated.  I've been working on this for some time and still cannot get it to work.

Thanks so much.

• 3. Re: Need Further Assistance with Setting Up Panel Chart
              Shinichiro Murakami

I understand you goal, but fundamental problem is you have so wide range across all the data ID.

It's from 5 to 5000 days as "Age in Days"  .

By the way on data ID on 1 chart can be achieved by using Data ID itself in calculated field.

[Column_Divider (copy)]

(int([Data Id])-1)%10

[Row_Divider (copy)]

INT(([Data Id]-1)/10)

I tried using Log scale, but it's till not enough to show different data point for example Data 1.(2399~2421 as day = 22/5000)

So, Without grouping the Data ID by "Age in Days" you can not accomplish what you want.

Thanks,

Shin

• 4. Re: Need Further Assistance with Setting Up Panel Chart
                Cecilia Mahdi

Thanks so much for attempting to assist me.  So do I need to set up the data in a different way or format?  I've seen so many examples of panel charts that were done successfully in Tableau that use similar data I'm using.  Do I need to have an actual date instead of using Age In Days or Age In Months?  I do see where Age In Days tend to give the actual count of the weight values.

I'm still looking at some examples that have been put together by members of this user group.  So many beautiful and complex examples at that.  In the meanwhile, I still need further assistance with setting up the panel charts to display patients weights.

• 5. Re: Need Further Assistance with Setting Up Panel Chart
                  Shinichiro Murakami

That's really depends on what do you want to show thru chart / from what kind of data.

One idea to normalize the data is using the "days' from first date of each ID.

And change the color by "Age in days" brings this chart.

Seems little better.

Thanks,

Shin

1 of 1 people found this helpful