1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 11:16 PM by diego.medrano

Tableau Desktop/Reader Cache Maintenance?

Jonathan Stone

I noticed at one point my cache was almost 10GB. I think I had been running the same OS install for over a year at that point so it was not "huge" for the time period or for the lifetime of OS images (usually no more than 3 years). So I am wondering now, is there anything built in and turned on by default to prevent the Tableau Desktop/Reader cache from becoming very large? e.g. might old or infrequently-used entries be purged when a size threshold is exceeded?

I see I can manually clear it from Clearing the Tableau Desktop Query Cache | Tableau Software and I think this is fine for developers (Tableau Desktop) but I am wondering if I will ever have to message to my users (Tableau Reader) they could need to do this occasionally. I see we can also disable the cache from Disabling External Caching in Tableau Desktop and Tableau Reader | Tableau Software but this is also not an out-of-the-box default.

My concerns stem around long-term eventual behavior when workbook consumers have opened lots of workbooks with different data connections and whether we need to recommend occasional cache clearing. I would much rather the Reader/Desktop software maintained the cache itself rather than making it our/our users' problem.

Probably if nothing is in place already (I can't seem to find it documented) I would submit a "community idea" to have a cache clear button in the menu or to simply limit it to 5GB or something.