4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 12:44 PM by heather.vogt

Bin values

heather.vogt

Hello! Can anyone tell me why, when I input 1500 as a bin size, I don't see 0, 1500, 3000, 4500 along the axis? Instead I see 0, 2000, 3000, etc.

bin values.png

Background info: I'm using Tableau 9.3.0

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Bin values
          Jamieson Christian

Heather,

Technically you are seeing 0K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 6K… which is a little different than 0, 2000, 3000, etc. It looks like a simple case of rounding.

Change your axis number format to show exact values rather than as thousands (K), and then you will be able to better see the actual values on your axis.

Those numbers make perfect sense to me (2K = 1,500 rounded, 8K = 7,500 rounded, etc.) except for the 4K one. I would have expected that to be 5K. But I wouldn't even begin to speculate about what's going on until I've reformatted the axis number format.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bin values
            heather.vogt

Thanks, Jamieson!

I reformatted the numbers to be Numbers(standard) and got the result I was looking for.

To make sure I understand, Tableau, by default, will round any "fractional values"--1500, 1250, etc.--to the nearest thousand; so 2000 for 1500 bin size and 1000 for 1250 bin size?

• 3. Re: Bin values
              Jamieson Christian

Heather,

Tableau is only rounding for the display of the axis labels, not for the actual binning.

If you leave the number format as "Automatic", and the numbers are large enough, and the display space is small enough, Tableau may automatically decided that a "thousands (K)" display is the most appropriate use of the space. It doesn't change the underlying numbers, just how they're displayed on the axis.

As soon as you specify a particular number format, Tableau will quit trying to figure out the most appropriate formatting to use, and go with whatever you tell it.

Again, none of this affects the Bin behavior. The underlying numbers were binned without any rounding going on first.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Bin values
                heather.vogt

Thanks! I really appreciate it!