6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 10:59 AM by gene shackman

containers change when I change height

gene shackman

I have a workbook, I have the tables all organized in containers the way I want, 3 charts in one vertical container, 3 tables in another vertical container

VerticalInLine.PNG

but then if I change the height of the tables, by dragging the bottom border of one table or another, for example the bottom border of this table

draggingborder.png

then the containers get all messed up, and the tables all get moved to their own containers.

VerticalNotInLine.PNG

This happens if, when I drag the borders of the tables, I align the tables with the borders of the charts. As shown below, the dark line is the top border of the "By Grade" table, and the right pointing triangle by "By Grade" is showing where the top border of the "By Grade" chart is. If I align the dark line (by grade table border) with the right pointing arrow (by grade chart border), then all the tables get their own container, as shown above. If I don't align the tables and charts, then all the tables stay in a single vertical container.

How do I align the tables and charts but keep the nice neat containers?

dragtoalign.PNG

• 1. Re: containers change when I change height
          David Li

Hi Gene, if you have sheets or other dashboard objects in adjacent containers and you use the snap-to-fit on one of them (i.e. dragging a border until you see that black line in your last image), Tableau will automatically move the resized sheet and the "snap-to" guide sheet to new Tiled containers. This is absurdly annoying, but that's Tableau for you sometimes. To get around this, you may need to manually set the height/width using the right-click menu on the object.

Also, when you set up a dashboard, you'll generally want the initial Tiled container Tableau gives you to be the root container. Put every other docked container inside that one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: containers change when I change height
            Shawn Wallwork

OK, I realize some folks 'like' (or tend to use) 'Tiled' containers. After all it's the Tableau default. But do we really need these long chains of containers within containers within containers, ad nauseum that Tableau creates by default?

When you first create a Dashboard the first thing you should do is change from Tiled to Floating. It's very easy to tile things later; but not so easy to dig down into the default Tableau container stack structure to find that one object you put in using tiled mode. Do yourself a favor: Float everything, then add filters, parameters, worksheets, etc. to floating containers. And when and if you really need/want a tiled container/object/worksheet, then add it at the end.

Just a thought.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: containers change when I change height
              Joe Oppelt

Gene -- Here's what's happening in your dashboard.

Click on one of the left column graphs.  Look at the "fit" setting..  (See screen shot.)

1.png

Your graphs are set to "Entire view".  But your crosstabs are set to "Standard".

Tableau is trying to match these up when you drag down to the arrow, and the only way it can do that is to put the standard sheet into a deeper container within your current container.

Change those crosstabs to "Entire View" and they'll line up with the graphs without further compartmentalizing the container.

See Dashboard 4 in the attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: containers change when I change height
                gene shackman

Thanks for the note. I think I use vertical containers because adjusting one chart automatically adjusts adjoining charts, they won't overlap. Floating means charts can overlap (or gap), right? Or is there a way of using floating to avoid that?

• 5. Re: containers change when I change height
                  Joe Oppelt

You're right on that point, Gene.  Tiled layouts are far more structured.  And far more orderly.

But way less flexible.

I think Shawn shares my preference for the flexibility.  It's rare if you find one of my dashboards that relies on tiling.  (Well, I do tile things within floating containers.  We don't have the concept of floating things within a floating container.  But the enclosing container still floats.)

As I said elsewhere, it's a matter of style and preference.

• 6. Re: containers change when I change height
                    gene shackman

I think I got another way: before I pull any worksheets to the dashboard, create two vertical containers, pull all the charts into one of them, and all the tables into the other one.