2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 10:39 AM by Riley Hun

Best way to re-publish a data extract to Tableau Server so that I can semi-automate reports?

Riley Hun

Comments: I am very close to getting this to work; I'm just having trouble putting all the separate ideas together.

Objective: I want to create a batch script that can re-publish a data extract (.TDE) file to Tableau Server so that I can automate a report. I generated some Python Code to interact with a couple distinct RDS's and then export the data to a csv file. Then, I import this csv file and convert it to TDE.

What I've done so far:

1. I have a Python 3.5 script that converts data from relational databases to csv file

2. I have a Python 2.7 script that converts csv file to TDE file since Python's TableauSDK is only compatible with Python 2.7.

3. I have some tabcmd commands that can re-publish the TDE file to server

My thinking?: I set up a .bat file and it seems to work...but is there a better way of doing this?

cd C:/Users/riley/PycharmProjects/BankandCreditBureauReport

python3 ReportGenerator.py

cd C:/Users/riley/PycharmProjects/TableauExtract

python2 DataExtract.py

cd C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.0\extras\Command Line Utility\

tabcmd login -s <server> -u test -p test

tabcmd publish "C:\Users\riley\PycharmProjects\TableauExtract\CBBRDashboard.tde" --project "Banking and Credit Bureau" --overwrite

Question: What is the best way to integrate these 3 different scripts so that I accomplish my objective?