2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2017 2:30 PM by Sanjay Mistry

Big Query Connection

Sanjay Mistry

hi I am trying to connect Tableau to Google Big Query data, public data sets. Here are the data sets -Medicare Data  |  BigQuery Documentation  |  Google Cloud Platform

For some reasons, I am not able to get the listing of Medicare data set. In my listing after I connect, nothing much shows up and once I type in the database name, it can't find it.

What am I doing wrong? See the video. I am trying to follow it but no success -Explore 300 million records of global-events data | Tableau Software

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Big Query Connection
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Sanjay,

so be sure to add the project 'bigquery-public-data' to the Project area once you have accepted all the google screens.  When I first clicked into that database link, it took me through a few screens to enable the data for 'My Project'.  Quickly I was able to create a list of Provider States for Avg total Payments for Outpatient Charges from 2014.  Sorted by State.

I don't think you will be able to use it but here is a workbook from Tableau 10.1.3 connected to this data set as well.  I think you will need to be sure your own credentials have access and that you have accepted the google terms/conditions screens. 

Hopefully that helps you get going.

Patrick

• 2. Re: Big Query Connection
            Sanjay Mistry

Thanks Patrick. I will try that out. By the way, did you mean to attach a workbook? I didn't see anything attache.