3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 10:33 PM by lei.chen.0

Identifying Column Dependency

avinashreddy.nandyala

Hi,

I have a question regarding dependency check. Our Tableau is connected to Kognitio and pulls tables from same. We have few tables with excess number of columns that we would like to minimize. Is there a way in Tableau to check which columns of the table are actually being used in workbooks.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Identifying Column Dependency
          lei.chen.0

Hello Avinash,

Basically, when you right click a dimension/measure, if the 'hide' is enabled in the menu, and then this field is not used in any Tableau worksheet.

In your situation, there seems to be too many fields for you to check one by one in this way.

An option might be viewing the .twb with a text editor.

<worksheets>

</worksheets>

Check the contents between the tags, and you will find what fields have been used in the worksheet.

Regards

Lei

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Identifying Column Dependency
            avinashreddy.nandyala

Thank you for the reply Lei. One more question in similar context, If i have one data source connected to multiple workbooks then will checking hidden columns in one workbook help analyse across the others as well?

For example, lets say a data source A_B is used in workbooks Tb and Tb1. In tb, one of the column is used and Tb1 a different column for data source is used. Then when I analyse in only one workbook, will it be helpful to determine all used and unused columns across both workbooks?

• 3. Re: Identifying Column Dependency
              lei.chen.0

Hello AVINASHREDDY,

First, the following discusion is based on two assumptions.

1. I assum the "workbooks" you mentioned means two different Tableau workbook files, not two worksheets in the same Tableau workbook file.

2. Your two Tableau workbook files define their own data source in themselves, instead of using a common Tableau data source.

More details about Tableau data source, see Tableau Server Data Sources .

With the above assumptions, each workbook has its own data source definition and fields definition, so you have to check the workbook files one by one.

My suggestion is to use shared Tableau Data Source.

Current (?) based on my guess

Suggested

Tableau Data Source can be local, but it is published to Tableau Server (Tableau Server Data Source)

You define the common Tableau Data Source for all your report creators, and hide numerous unnecessary fields.

All your report creator users can connect to this Tableau Server Data Source with Tableau Desktop and can only view the fields you didn't hide.

If some user requests for more fields to view (you hide previously), you can modified the Tableau Server Data Source and unhide them.

Then all the workbook using this Tableau Server Data Source will see the fields appearing after a refresh.

Not sure if I've explained clearly.

Please feel free to ask if there's anything unclear.

Regards

Lei