I don't know the reason for this, but it would be useful to others if you could provide a bit more detail such as
- what version of Tableau server are you using?
- are Test & Prod the same version (I'm assuming they would be, but good to clarify)?
- has this only started happening with this version?
- what is your server set up like - single instance server, or gateway & workers?
- are you using multiple sites?
- what type of data source are the workbooks connecting to (server extracts, live connections, SQL Server, Excel etc etc)?
- how are you migrating the data onto Prod (tabadmin backup & then restore or something else)
Thank you for your response, please see the answers below,
* Tableau server version 9.3.5
*Both Test and Prod are the same version
*This just started to happen recently, we have done migrations before in the this version but they were all successful with no issues
* It has happened with the recent migrations we have done
*It has happened with multiple data sources, SQLserver, Live connections, server extracts,
* we use tabadmin Import and Export to migrate the site content from Test To Prod,
I do not know. My experience with Site importing is very little. I would look at what is different with the recent import versus prior, successful ones. If there is no difference then two things:
- Refresh the index
- If that fails then contact Tableau Support and let us know the solution.
I also am a bit light on the whole site export / site import functionality. But my suggestion is to evaluate what has changed recently in your environment. It could be the smallest thing that you don't expect that may have big consequences such as this. One thought I have is did you happen to disable the REST API functionality? There was a security bulletin that was released in reference to this (this is why I ask), and perhaps some internals of the site import or site export use this functionality?
Nothing has changed, when we try to republish the workbooks that aren't opening they open fine with no errors.
Okay, that seems odd. I would recommend contacting Tableau Support about this.