2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2017 1:35 AM by nicole.wells

Actual vs. Budget

Amit Misra

Good Morning Tableau community,

I am faced with a challenge that I am looking to lean on the community for support with. There is such a wealth of knowledge on this platform and I thank everyone in advance for taking time to respond.

I am working on some actual vs. budget calculations and am posed with the following challenge when plotting a chart with a time dimension: I am working with healthcare data here and I want to plot a chart that shows charges for current FY (Sept 16 - Current month in our case) using a bar chart with a trend line for the budget, which is based on the previous FY's charges (Sept 15 - Aug 16).

The two challenges I have are below:

1) How to plot a chart showing current fiscal year without filtering out data for previous fiscal year for budget? I am getting past this currently by truncating the year off and only showing month.

2) How to do a comparison of month in current FY vs entire last FY, not just month vs. month?

I would appreciate any insight into this. I hope my explanation is clear enough - please ask if I can clarify anything.

Amit