2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2017 5:41 AM by Diego Roa

Filtering data - Table does not show all the values

Diego Roa

Hi All,

I'm new in tableau and I've been working on some visualization for a while.

I created a parallel coordinate and I would like to show the specific information of the highlighted line (which I use as a filter) in a table.

tableau.png

When I select one line from the parallel coordinate, then the table shows the specific value of the line that I am selecting.

tableau2.png

I would like to show all the values from the same line and show all the table. I could show all the values from the table going to the Analysis tab - Table layout - show all columns, but I can't show all the values in the table once I filtered the results from the graphic above.

Does anybody know how to show all the values?

Attached find the tableau file:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Diego

• 1. Re: Filtering data - Table does not show all the values
          Jamieson Christian

Diego,

Workbook attached (version 10.1.3). Here is a drill-down of the problems that led to this behavior, working backwards:

• The filter action on the dashboard was configured to "All fields", which causes the table to be filtered on both [Campaign Type] and [Campaign] when something in the line chart is selected.
          • You could not specify to just filter on Campaign Type because technically, [Campaign Type] wasn't in the line chart — it was using ATTR([Campaign Type]) instead.
          • It seemed to be doing this to get around an issue created by your LOD expression [Value Scaled], which was an EXCLUDE LOD.

To fix this, I had to rewrite the EXCLUDE LOD as a FIXED LOD. I hope I got it right. It seems to actually fix some other things, e.g. your Campaign Type legend/filter aren't showing * anymore.

Once [Value Scaled] was in a FIXED LOD, I could restructure the line chart view to use [Campaign Type] instead of ATTR([Campaign Type]).

Once that was done, then I could modify the dashboard action to only filter on [Campaign Type], thus causing the table to show all the [Campaigns] in that Campaign Type.

• 2. Re: Filtering data - Table does not show all the values
            Diego Roa

Dear Christian,

THANK YOU! for your reply. It was really helpful!

Now I understand so much better how Tableau works with the actions and filters