13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 7:39 AM by Joe Oppelt

How to create multiple rows of data from one row for aggregation?

David Pavel

I have an odd situation where I need to create "multiple records" from one record. I hope I can explain this…

In Tableau, I have joined two Excel tables on the field ‘Piece’.  Each Piece can have multiple Components and

number of Components. This is what I’m trying to aggregate. However, when a Piece equals a star (*), then

one half of the Components are from one Piece, with the other half from another Piece. In the Example data

below, half of the Components are from Piece A50, with the second half from Piece A64.

tables.png

What Piece to assign is determined by the Column/Row of the * record. In my example, the * is in Column 1/Row 4.

This means I need to somehow lookup the Piece and Piece Qty from Column 1/Row 3 and Column 1/Row 5. See

the image below. Can this be done in Tableau?

desiredview.png

I’ve attached a workbook to help. As you can see by the results below, I can aggregate everything properly when

Piece is not a star. The highlights indicate where I need help to do some tableau magic. Any help is appreciated.

output.png