3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 8:46 PM by ameya v

Resetting filter when changing access through a user filter

ameya v

Hi everyone, I am facing a difficulty regarding the user filter.  i have used user filter (row level security) on my dashboard wherein each user has access to certain Function and Sub Function Names  . Assume that User 1 have access to 3 functions say A,B,C and I have published my dashboard on Tableau server of my client. Suppose User 2 has access to 2 functions say D,E. So when User 1 publishes the dashboard through his id , the three functions shown are A,B,C . Similarly when User 2 logs in through his ID, the filter does not show D,E. He has to go the drop down and take either function D OR E . Is there any way through which if the other user logs in, the filter should get reset to the functions to which he has access . In short, the filter should reset itself to the function names to which that particular user has access .

Note the client does not want all button in the filter .

• 1. Re: Resetting filter when changing access through a user filter
          Andrew Watson

I'm trying to understand the issue here but may not fully have it. What would happen if you had all functions selected by default (not necessarily using the All option as you said that should be hidden) and set the filter to relevant values? That way User 1 would only see A, B & C while User 2 should see D & E. Perhaps this may fall over as User 1 publishes and can't see D & E so therefore even selecting All doesn't select D & E behind the scenes.

• 2. Re: Resetting filter when changing access through a user filter
            ameya v

Hi Andrew, thanks for your time and efforts . The obstacle here is that the client does not want the  "ALL" option and also the client wants a single value drop-down . Let me know if any feasible solution is possible for this .

• 3. Re: Resetting filter when changing access through a user filter
              ameya v

Hi Ben, to get a clearer picture on the doubt.Can you take datafrom Sample Store.Take 2 filters. Region and state . Then put region in context filter and for state, take the State filter as only values in context. So in sheet 1 , when we take east region as my filter, we only get the States that are a part of east region . Also I have taken the east region as single value drop-down . Also we are showing data for New York at present for segment wise quantity.

So the main query that I have is when we change the Region from east to Say central, the sheet goes blank as the data captured was for New York which is not part of the central region. So is there a way to dynamically update the state filter . also the state filter should take anyone State by default .