9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 2:03 PM by Guy Ballard

Error 49037: no such table

Guy Ballard

Greetings Community,

I am getting a perplexing error, using Desktop 10.0.5, that unexpectedly renders my workbook useless until I re-build my data source. The error is Error 49037 and happens after I try an refresh an extract of the data set. My data set is comprised of a .csv file (in it's own folder on a network share), and is joined to a union of several .csv files (in another folder on the same share).

The connection looks like this:

And the error I get is this:

The data set builds itself just fine, extracts fine the first time, and I am able to use it with perfect functionality while working with the viz, I can even run a refresh of the extract once or twice (undetermined) but eventually while trying an extract, the error pops up during the extraction and then Tableau will not let me do anything (error pops up again and again) until I re-build the connection from scratch. There are no extract filters, the only filtering being done on the data is what is being done by the inner join between the .csv and the union of .csvs.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Guy

• 1. Re: Error 49037: no such table
          Jamieson Christian

Guy,

You mentioned that at least one of your data sources is on a network share. If you relocate it to a directory on your local hard drive, does the problem go away?

In my environment, on Windows 7, I have network locations mapped to drive letters. And sometimes, those drive letters spuriously lose their connection. (If you ever get a message in your notification tray that says something like, "Windows was unable to reconnect to all of your shared drives", that's related to this issue.) If I open Windows Explorer and navigate to the drive letter, it triggers Windows to reconnect transparently, but that may not happen when Tableau tries to access the data source. So, if you've temporarily lost the connection on one of your shared drive letters, and Tableau tries to use it, it may come back with the error you're seeing.

Hope that helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error 49037: no such table
            Guy Ballard

Hi Jamieson,

Thank you for the quick reply. It does not appear to be directly linked to my machine losing connection to the network drive, or at least I have no indication that the drive is not connected. While I have seen the "windows is unable to reconnect....etc." notification before, it is extremely rare. The error also stays persistent in the workbook even after restarting Tableau and the PC and I have not seen this problem before, despite working from that network share on a regular basis in other workbooks (though never through a Join AND union of .csv's like the one pictured above). I've copied my text files to a local folder, moved my connection over to that and will do some more testing and report back what I find.

Guy

• 3. Re: Error 49037: no such table
              Jamieson Christian

Guy,

Sounds good. Let us know what you find out.

Another thought that occurred to me — did you happen to have the CSV in question opened in Excel at the time? Excel tends to aggressively lock files that it has open, and that can easily cause problems when Tableau tries to open it for a refresh. I've seen Tableau and Excel fight with each other over file locks before.

Make sure all of your CSV files are closed before starting a refresh. And, to be absolutely safe, close down Excel completely. Sometimes it maintains a file lock even after the file appears to be closed.

• 4. Re: Error 49037: no such table
                Guy Ballard

Update: I have not been able to reproduce the error with the local files but, interestingly, I also do not get the error when ALL of the .csv files are all moved into the same network folder (normally --ideally-- they are in two separate folders, with the left part of the join in it's own folder, and all of the union ones in another). I have made sure that none of the files are opened in Excel or another version of Tableau, etc. As long as I have all the files in the same folder and update the connection accordingly, things seem to go smoothly, but as soon as I move them into their own folder on the network, the error returns. This, despite the initial extraction working fine when the files were in separate folders.

• 5. Re: Error 49037: no such table
                  Guy Ballard

As of this morning I copied my files to a local folder was able to re-produce the error with files not on the network drive, under the same circumstances (having the .csv files in two separate folders) so it would seem to be unrelated to the network. It kind of seems like Tableau is creating some kind of a temporary file (perhaps the one the error refers to) when it does the initial extract and then forgets about it, or where it is in memory when it needs to return to it.

Guy

• 6. Re: Error 49037: no such table
                    Jamieson Christian

Guy,

So at this point, we know that the extract will work consistently if all of the files are in the same directory, regardless of whether that is a local hard drive directory or a network directory — yes? But if they're in different directories, sooner or later the extract will start to fail consistently.

I confess, I'm stumped. Is there a particular pattern as to which file(s) have to be separated into different directories? You had a join, plus a union. Does it fail when the single joined file is somewhere else? Does it fail when the files involved in the union are separated from each other? Are you able to reproduce the problem without the union (i.e. use just one file from the union, but put it in a different directory from the joined file)?

• 7. Re: Error 49037: no such table
                      Guy Ballard

Jamieson,

"So at this point, we know that the extract will work consistently if all of the files are in the same directory, regardless of whether that is a local hard drive directory or a network directory — yes? But if they're in different directories, sooner or later the extract will start to fail consistently." - yep, this is correct.

I've had a chance to test a bit further. As long as I do not have a union in the join, the error goes away. Each of the 'union-ed' files can be joined individually (one at a time) and everything works great. As soon as I add any other files to make the union, the error starts happening, sometimes immediately, and sometimes after some duration (almost behaving as if it was 'reset' by the action of joining and extracting with just the single file, no union). In summary, having the two data sets in separate folder with the union active triggers the error, usually on the second or third extract refresh. Either the action of moving all the files into the same folder, OR removing the union while having them in separate folders removes the error. During the time of my testing none of the underlining files have been opened or edited in any way.

• 8. Re: Error 49037: no such table
                        Jamieson Christian

Guy,

Wow… I'm afraid I have run out of ideas. I don't do a lot with file-based data sources, so I don't have a large bank of experience to draw from. Hopefully someone else will have an idea of what might cause this behavior!

So sorry.

• 9. Re: Error 49037: no such table
                          Guy Ballard

Thanks for your time, Jamieson! I'll keep you posted if I find something more.

GB