3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 7:07 AM by Shinichiro Murakami

Data Blending

David Sokolovsky

I have a question on data blending. I have two data sources (both excel files) which have some overlapping field. Fields include store location (state), products sold (product a, b, c), sales person, etc.,

One data source has all of the relevant revenue information by account, products sold, sales person, branch, state etc,. The second has information on customer visits and don't necessarily tie back to an account, but has the same branch state, sales person, etc

I am trying to blend the data based on those overlapping fields. I would also like to be able to filter on those particular fields. I went through the blending tutorial and was able to create the sheet but am now having trouble with the filters.

If I just link both sheets on one category, for example branch location, both data sources will return the right information. When I want to drill in and filter on a second category, I run into the problem of it not being linked. If I link the file on 2 categories, I run into the problem of the secondary data source not having all of the information because it gets filtered out from the first. Here is an example of what happens:

If a product in branch A has no sales, but has 10 customer visits when I filter on the particular branch and product, I do not get any result for the visits since the primary data source doesn't have any revenue information associated with that. If the California office has 100 visits 50 for product A and 50 for product B, and product A doesn't have any existing sales, when I link by branch and product, I will not see the 50 visits associated with product A.

My question is, is there a way to have two separate sheets that have overlapping fields where I can use filters to display information from the second sheet that isn't dependent on a record existing in the 1st?

• 1. Re: Data Blending
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi David,

In data blending, you need to determine which data is primary.

Primary data's all dimension becomes master and the item which only involved in 2nd data source can not be captured by any method under blending..

Then it's always not good idea to use measures from both data in case of blending when two data's dimension is not exactly same.

You might better use "Join" instead as long as data volume is not significantly huge.

Thanks,

Shin

• 2. Re: Data Blending
            David Sokolovsky

Is there another approach to be able to display two sets of data on one workspace that would include two sheets fro data sources and can filter on the common fields?

I am trying to avoid replicating the filters for different workspaces which would make the user experience poor since they would have to select the store location twice.

I just want to display all of the information in two sets of data using one set of filters regardless of the master sheet having that category.

• 3. Re: Data Blending
              Shinichiro Murakami

Hi David

In any case, could you attach packaged workbook with illustrating your issue/requirement as very first step.

Tableau Forum Guidelines

Thanks,

Shin