I am going to attache a Tableau 10.1.3 file - you may not be able to open it up - so I will describe the process
See if this process works for you
1 On a new worksheet drag Hospital Zip to the field and let the map generate
2 Go up to the MAP drop down at the top and select "Map Layers"
3 a panel will open on the left and check off County Boundaries" and County Names" to add the county background to the map
4 Drag Case count to the color on the marks shelf
5 I dragged Episodal Hospital to text so I could see the names
Will this help
Thanks for the reply, I apologize my original post didn't do a good job of describing exactly what I need to do. I need to be able to show which hospitals people from each county are going to for their hip and knee replacements. The problem I'm running into is that it is only coloring the counties one color rather than in some cases all 7 colors. Is there a way that I can make each county multiple colors if people from that county go to more than one hospital.
Wow - don't know - let me think about that one for a bit
Let me know if you can come up with anything and Go Steelers!!
I think this might be it
The process is a little involved but I concatenated the county field and hospital name field using the Member Zip field as the key
Then added then made the map based on the new field
I have tried to send this twice and it did not go so I will send the file on a separate reply
I am unable to open that file. Do you know any steps I can take to view it?
What version of Tableau are you using
Tableau has a reader version of the software that can be downloaded from the link below - I just checked and it will open the file I sent you - you will we able to see the viz and play with the filters but not change the data - if it works like you want we can add the necessary formulas in your version
I will also look to see if there is a way to convert this file to 9.3
I can't find a way that I can convert the file but here are the instructions on how to build the view in your version:
- Create a calculated field for "County/Hospital" = [County Description1] + ' County' +' '+[Hospitals Name] + ' Hospital'
- Convert the "County/Hospital to a Geographic Role - Create From - Member Zip - The member zip part is what creates the county to hospital relationship you want
see the path below
- Now Create the map using the new field - County/Hospital
- Put the Hospital name on color
- Add the count(Episode Number) to the Text Shelf
- Set up a Hospital Name filter - and set it up to highlight
- When you hover over a shape the tool tip will give you the From County to Hospital, and the count
Let me know if you need some help
My Company hasn’t updated our version of Tableau yet, is there any way that I can view that with version 9.3.2?