2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 8:04 AM by Horatiu Negutoiu

Workflow question

Horatiu Negutoiu

Hi all,

I have a Tableau site working alongside a user interface and an API. I use local extracts and also allow users to web edit their dashboards. Currently, by default, when a user modifies a dashboard and then Saves As a copy, the refresh schedule for the extract does not copy over. Has anyone had the same issue before? How did you solve it?

I can think of two solutions for now:

1. Periodically run a Python scripts that updates the refresh schedules of this user-custom dashboards.

2. Alert the user that their dashboard doesn't have a refresh schedule and point them to the right location.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Workflow question
          Toby Erkson

Horatiu Negutoiu, I moved your question to the Server Admin forum because of the issue you bring up -- one that I was not even aware of:  Modifying a workbook AND saving it as a separate copy will break its extract refresh, essentially severing its living data source connection and "replacing" it with a static one.

1. What version of Tableau Server are you using?
          2. Just to make sure, have you verified that the copy is not getting new data when compared side-by-side with the original report?  Because I would think that the copy would feed from the same extract since nothing internally would change at the Web Edit level (no columns/tables added, no data sources added/removed, etc.)
          3. This makes me wonder if the same thing happens when the data source is Live
          • 2. Re: Workflow question
            Horatiu Negutoiu

Hi Toby,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I'm using Tableau 10.0.3 and I'm also going to test today using 10.1.3.

2. I will test that theory sometime soon.

3. When the data source is live, everything works well, because all you copy over is the connection information. Being a live data source, it will always give you the latest data.