3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 5:45 AM by Dhruv Gupta

Top N Rank Parameter not working properly with a dynamic set and a filter

Dhruv Gupta

Hi Everyone,

Recently, I started working on a Data metric in Tableau desktop 8.3 wherein I have to show "Top N ranks" and rest of the ranks will be combined in "Others" category so when i will select top 7 ranks, it will show me top 7 ranks of selected dimension with others category(Others will have all the aggregated sum of rest of dimensions other than top 7) ; I have achieved this with the use of "Top" feature within the Set i.e. dynamic set.

This whole thing seem to be working fine until i applied a filter in this view, when i applied a filter to this view, the "Show Top N rank" parameter does not work properly and there is no change in the viz when i change the "Show Top N rank" parameter. Please refer the attached mock-up data packaged workbook(When i select "Group 1"  in Group Filter under "Testing" worksheet and move the "Show Top N rank" parameter from 11 to 12 there is no change in the Viz, similarly when i select the"Group 2"  in Group Filter under "Testing" worksheet and move the "Show Top N rank" parameter from 6 to 7 or 8 to 9 there is no change in the Viz )

Mock-up Data details:

Column 1: Trading Strategy: there are 15 trading strategy

Column 2: Group: there are only 2 groups in the data

Column 3 Stock id: contains some random numbers below 100

As per my analysis, this problem is because the Top N ranking under the dynamic set is being performed before the group filtering operation so some of the higher ranked dimensions are omitted after the filter and thats the reason there is no change in the viz when we change the "Show Top N rank" parameter.

Please let me know if anyone of you have clue to resolve this problem, ll look forward for responses.

Thanks,

Dhruv Gupta