1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 1:15 PM by Jonathan Drummey

Connected scatterplot with dimensions on details

nolan.gaskill

I'm trying to assist someone with quasi-recreating the effect of the pages shelf on a Tableau server viz.  I'm using a connected scatterplot to show change over time across two measures with more than one set of trails being displayed. I've used size and color to indicate the direction of time (small and pale to large and dark).  I can't publish the workbook itself because of the data contained within but I've done a simple mock up using Superstore data at the Tableau Public link below and I pasted a screenshot as well.

Tableau Public

This works reasonably well when there are a small number of marks and those marks are mostly well distributed across the scatterplot.  Unfortunately what I'm being asked to show tails for about 30 different marks many of which have quite similar values on the plot.  This gets ugly very fast.  Any thoughts on how to riff on this idea to get something that might look cleaner with more marks?

One thought I had was that the initial load would just show the most recent point for each mark then to use a use a highlight or click action to show the rest of the tails but I haven't been able to figure out a way to do that.

• 1. Re: Connected scatterplot with dimensions on details
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Nolan,

Certain chart types are effectively better than other chart types for certain tasks...what you're running into is a fundamental problem of connected scatterplots. So when you you ask about getting something cleaner I'd go back to trying to understand the tasks users are trying to accomplish as they are filtering for more marks because the solution is often not about finding some way to display more marks but instead to find a way to display *fewer* marks that more efficiently help users answer questions with their data.

For example are they trying to review the connected scatterplot patterns for a certain mark or set of marks? In that case a filter (or maybe a Filter Action that pops up another worksheet) might be better than a highlight. Are they trying to get a sense of values or ranking where bars might be better? Maybe they just want a sense of correlation between a set of values, in which case a trend line might be better?

Jonathan