11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 12:43 PM by Samantha Spooner

Creating a Beautiful Tooltip (tooltip charts)

Matthew Risley

My department stumbled across a beautiful tool-tip (another visualization program) that we would like to recreate in Tableau:

This thing is the bee's knees. Beautifully updates as you glide across the line. Now I know something similar was shown at TC16. But we want it now.. haha

I'm fairly close. I can do the bar charts no problem thanks to this: http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#formatting_tooltips_barchart_example.html

But the kicker is getting everything to line up. Especially the 'number of responses' next to the big blue number and the numbers along the left side bars. It's as if Tableau's tool-tip box does not translate to the visualization 1:1. There's some spacing issues when dealing with font size differences.

Can you help me re-create this?

What I don't want is for you to feel like you're doing my homework- I want this to be a fun challenge and perhaps a test for what we will need when they add in-tooltip-viz's. Can't wait for this to come to Tableau.

Attached is a 9.3 workbook to try out.

PS: 10 points to Gryfindor on whoever can solve why some of my percentages are not summing to 100% (works fine on my real data set)....