1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 11:42 AM by Rob Davis

Showing country ratings upgrade/downgrade

David Recuero Guerra

Dear all,

I am trying to build a viz showing country ratings. Ratings are usually very static and rarely change, but I am interested in having some kind of visual that shows me when there is a change in the rating for any particular country. I also want to use a map to shows the static picture, and somehow build a viz that notifies the changes (if any).

I would appreciate if you could give me some ideas to build this viz.

Thanks in advance.

David

• 1. Re: Showing country ratings upgrade/downgrade
          Rob Davis

Hi David,

It sounds like you're looking to compare a current rating (please clarify if you mean a ranking) with one that has already been set historically.  I'd imagine the data set looks something like:

Country | Historical Rating or Ranking | Current Rating or Ranking

US | 10 | 5  [this scenario is positive, display green upward arrow and spots climbed]

Canada | 6 | 7 [this scenario is negative, display red downward arrow and spots dropped]

Mexico |12 | 12 [neutral scenario, no change]

Current Rating or Ranking =

IF [Historical Rating] > [Current Rating] THEN 'positive direction' ELSEIF [Historical Rating] < [Current Rating] THEN 'negative direction' ELSE 'neutral' END

And then you would just use this new calculated field to compare the two fields (historical vs current rating) and display a shape like an upward arrow if the resulting value has moved up in rating like the US which has climbed from 10 to 5 and then overlay the rating difference of number of spots climbed. 

You could then create a filled map that contains a green/red/neutral color to tied to the calculated field

Thanks,

Rob Davis