2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2016 2:31 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Line graph assistance

Abraham Tom

I was wondering if anybody has built a line graph that has a mini version to act as a navigation aid.

This is helpful for large timeseries of data

the main graph would only show only 2 months

while the mini version would show 2 years and you can highlight the 2 month range you actually want to see

example attached

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.08.46 PM.png

• 1. Re: Line graph assistance
          Matthew Risley

Abraham,

I've never personally made one- But this is how I would start if this is something that you want to create.

-Initially my mind goes to make two separate line charts and combine them onto one dashboard.

- Play with filters and dashboard actions to make the two interact as expected

-To select a range, I would just click and drag

This seems like a very interesting idea and would love to see this come to fruition!

Best,

--Matt

• 2. Re: Line graph assistance
            Shawn Wallwork

You might be making more work for yourself than you need to. I don't think most people realize that most chart types can be zoomed into, just like zooming into a map. By default Tableau hides the controls for every chart type except maps. But if you right-click a blank part of your chart and then click the last option in the context menu of the chart "Show View Toolbar" you'll get zoom and selection controls:

Now you can use the zoom control to define the two month area you want. Just unpin the view to get to the original view.

Alternative (and this is what I most often do) just use the control-scroll wheel to zoom in. Remember the zoom will center on your cursor so keep it close to the zero line. Then click a blank area and hold for 1-2 seconds. Now start moving the cursor and you'll see that you are now in pan mode. (The cursor symbol doesn't change until you start moving it.) The easiest way to reset to the full view is to turn on the View Toolbar and unpin the view. Alternative you can double-click the Y-axis, click Edit Axis and change it back to Automatic. Then repeat for the X-axis.

If you train your users to use this feature, you'll save yourself a lot of time building custom dashboards using action filters.

Cheers,

--Shawn