2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 2:30 PM by Luke Sirakos

Add shapes on line graph?

Luke Sirakos

I am trying to mark certain points on line graphs as events, I am not sure if what I am looking for is possible or not and if it is I might have to rearrange how I have my data structured (which is possible).  I attached a workbook with generic data that shows three lines on one line graph, one for each "location".  There is another field called "Event Date" which is the date that the event occurred, different for each location.  What I would really like is a shape, dot, something on each line at that specific "Event Date".  That way you could quickly see how each location is doing over time and when the even occurred.

I was thinking something like a dual axis where the dual axis would be both date fields but I can't seem to get that to work either.  I can kind of get it to work with labels but it isn't always on the line which can be annoying and you can't adjust the size of the dot (what I really want).

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Add shapes on line graph?
          Joe Oppelt

(Note to self:  V10.0 workbook)

One way is to use dual axis.  One axis is the graph.  The other is just a mark when/where the event occurs.  Change the second axis to SHAPE, and you can mess with whatever shape you want.  You can change the colors to contrast with the graph lines if you want.  I made the shapes really big to make them stand out.

Once you get the dual axis working right, it's just a matter of window dressing to get the viz the way you want it to look.

See attached.  If you need help seeing what I did in there, I'll be glad to provide more detail.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Add shapes on line graph?
            Luke Sirakos

Well that was much easier than I was making it.  Thanks!