6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 5:23 PM by Rahul Mishra

How To Disable "Share" Menu on Individual Embedded Dashboards?

arthur.pasternak

I'm currently developing a dashboard that would require removing the "share" menu from the bottom toolbar, since we're trying to prevent the dashboard from being shared with a wider audience.  In researching a way to disable the menu, I ran across this page: Parameters for Embed Code .  According to the page, if I change the parameter showShareOptions in the embed code to "false", then it should prevent the Share menu from showing in the toolbar.  However, when I tried this, it didn't seem to work.  However, when I changed the parameter "toolbar" to "no", then that did in fact remove the toolbar from the embedded dashboard.  So my question is, why doesn't the showShareOptions parameter work? And why does the other 'toolbar' parameter work?  Am I misunderstanding the role of the parameters in the embed code? 

I've also run across a method of disabling the Share menu from showing through the use of tabadmin in Tableau Server, however, that appears to remove the Share menu from all dashboards, which I don't want to do. I only want to limit it on individual dashboards.  Also removing the toolbar entirely is also not ideal, because I would like to keep the Download menu. 

As background, I'm using Tableau Server 9.3.3 to embed the dashboards.

• 1. Re: How To Disable "Share" Menu on Individual Embedded Dashboards?

Hey Arthur,

How are you embedding the viz? Are you using Javascript or a URL parameter? I don't believe hiding the share buttons is an option for URL parameters but should work for Javascript. If you could share your embed code, we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

-Diego

• 2. Re: How To Disable "Share" Menu on Individual Embedded Dashboards?
            arthur.pasternak

Hi Diego, thanks for replying.  I believe I'm using the Javascript embed parameter.  I take this code and enter it into the webpage's HTML code.  When I change showShareOptions to 'false', it doesn't seem to remove the Share menu.  On the other hand changing the "toolbar" parameter to 'no' seems to work (removing the whole bottom toolbar). So I'm not sure why one of the parameters works while the other doesn't. 

I'm pasting the code below for reference (however I removed the references to my specific Tableau server/dashboard):

<script type='text/javascript' src='https://[server URL here]/javascripts/api/viz_v1.js'></script><div class='tableauPlaceholder' style='width: 1224px; height: 862px;'><object class='tableauViz' width='1224' height='862' style='display:none;'><param name='host_url' value='[tableau server]' /> <param name='site_root' value='' /><param name='name' value='DashboardName' /><param name='tabs' value='yes' /><param name='toolbar' value='yes' /><param name='showShareOptions' value='false' /></object></div>

• 3. Re: How To Disable "Share" Menu on Individual Embedded Dashboards?
              Rick Kunkel

You can accomplish mostly what you want, but it might come at the expense of making "Share" disappear in other embedded views by default.

1. tabadmin set vizqlserver.showshare
                Setting vizqlserver.showshare globally via "tabadmin set vizqlserver.showshare false" will only disable the "Share" button in embedded views.  Viewing through the regular full vizportal interface won't be affected.
              2. showShareOptions Object or URL Parameter
                After setting vizqlserver.showshare to false, you can now control the presence of the "Share" button in embedded views using the "showShareOptions" parameter.  This parameter will work as either an Object parameter (the method you're using AFAIK) or as a URL Parameter (despite the fact that the documentation doesn't mention this).

(Aside: Interestingly, if you set vizqlserver.showshare to false, use showShareOptions to make the "Share" button displayed, and then click it, the Embed Link will have showShareOptions set to true by default, and the Email Link will have showShareOptions set to false by default.  I'm not sure why these would be different.)

IMHO, there's a problem in either the documentation or the product code here, depending on what the design is.  I will pursue that.

EDIT: Hiding the Share button in 10.2 doesn't work as designed as of this edit on Apr 27 2017.  It is an open issue actively being worked on.

• 4. Re: How To Disable "Share" Menu on Individual Embedded Dashboards?
                Rahul Mishra

We are using Tableau server 10.2. I tried to disable the share button by setting  "tabadmin set vizqlserver.showshare false". It did not work.

We display our viz by using the embedded <object> tag. I tried adding a parameter "<param name='showShareOptions' value='false' />" to the object tab. This did not work either.

I can hide the toolbar and from the object tag. We want to hide\disable the Share toolbar option for all the workbooks. Please let me know if I am missing anything.

• 5. Re: How To Disable "Share" Menu on Individual Embedded Dashboards?
                  Rick Kunkel

Hi, Rahul.  I just modified my earlier response in this thread in a way that's relevant to your question.

Hiding the Share button in 10.2 doesn't work as I described that it does in earlier versions.  This is an issue being actively worked.  Once that work is finished, I believe you should be able to disable globally using vizqlserver.showshare, or per view using showShareOptions=false.  (The showShareOptions parameter will be capable of overriding vizqlserver.showshare.)

• 6. Re: How To Disable "Share" Menu on Individual Embedded Dashboards?
                    Rahul Mishra

Hi Rick, thanks for the quick reply. I am new to Tableau Server and I have a question, will Tableau provide a resolution for this issue in some patch release for 10.2 or the fix will be released as part of bigger release like 10.3 or 10.4.