2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 3:05 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Creating Period over Period tables/charts across different date types

erin.barr

I'm really struggling with this - I need to create a view/dashboard to show period over period across a couple types of date ranges:

1) Week over week

2) Quarter over quarter

3) Month over month

4) year to date from one year to next.

For the first period, I created a 'date 1' and 'date 2' parameter that grabbed the weeks from the data field itself and created a 'date filter' that only returned values from parameter 1 or parameter 2.  I placed the week of on the shelf, and the data worked fine and displayed properly.  I then created a parameter to determine which view to determine filters/ranges on (week, month, quarter, year to date). 

Overall objective is that when I pick 'WEEK' from the parameter, then the headers will reflect period 1 week vs. period 2 week, along with the appropriate data items.  If month is selected, then the selected month/year is in period 1 and the second month/year is in period 2. same with quarter, then year to date will compare Jan1 through yesterday across the two years selected, each year in its respective period 1 or 2.

Attached is a workbook I started to work with.  The table is where I started to play with the multiple levels of dates, the bar charts are tied only to the week vs. week, but gives an idea of what I'm looking for.

My question - what's the best practice to set a minimally intrusive way to select type of period (week, month, quarter, year to date), then when period is selected, one filter populates with date type for period 1 and 2 (i.e., 1Q 2015 vs 1Q 2016, Jan 2015 vs. feb 2016, 10/3/16 vs. 10/10/16, 1/1/15 - 12/11/15 vs. 1/1/16 - 12/11/16), then in the table, metric column A equates to period 1, metric column B equates to period 2, with a variance calculation in metric column C, and the headers for the visuals and tables to contain the name of period 1 or period 2.

Attached is a workbook I mocked up with dummy data and started the process, but it started to get away from me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.