3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2016 7:48 AM by Joe Oppelt

Dynamic Dashboards: Selecting which variables to be included in dashboards

Jordan Carson

Hi,

I have come across a project that is requiring me to build a workbook that consists of 100 charts - 1 for each series - for example, Real GDP, CPI, Housing Starts, etc. However the team does not always want to display all 100 charts

the charts will be all the same YEAR(DATE) on the Columns, while the Measure on the Rows to generate a Line Chart.

Is there anyway I can select which 100 variables I want to include - which would then create the dashboards off of the chosen variables. (first dashboard would almost be a tick box checking if I want this variable included or not.)

Please let me know if anyone has ran into this issue and how they resolved it.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Dynamic Dashboards: Selecting which variables to be included in dashboards
          Joe Oppelt

It's kind of hard to wrap my head around this...

I'm picturing something like a calendar page (follow me on this...  I know you aren't looking for a calendar, but let me run with this analogy so I can conceptualize what you need.)

The dashboard can have one  or more of 31 different sheets displayed.  The user might want to see the sheet for the 5th of the month, the 10th through the 20th, and the 19th.  User doesn't want to see any of the others.  The next user might come along looking for the first, 9th, 13th-through-24th, 28th and 31st.

So a user would have an initial page where he would select which ones he wants to see, then hit some GO button, and on the next dashboard he would see those selections.

If I'm close in concept, let me go on...

If 10 out of 31 days are to be viewed, would they be locked into fixed positions on the dashboard (such as corresponding grid locations for the calendar dates they selected)?  Or would you want them shifted around to fill full rows of 7 (per week), with 7 on the first row of grid locations, and 3 on the next?

Expanding the numbers you used above, how would you expect to position 100 charts (if that's what the user actually chooses) in a way that the user would be able to see anything without a magnifying glass?

So those are some leading questions to get discussion rolling on what you are looking to do.

An actual workbook with 100 (or even 10) charts would be helpful so we can do hands-on testing with you would really help this thread along.  (PS:  Specify your tableau version when you upload a workbook.)

• 2. Re: Dynamic Dashboards: Selecting which variables to be included in dashboards
            Jordan Carson

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response.

I created a sample Tableau Packaged Workbook (version 9.3.6). In this file I have 40 fields, which are GDP, CPI etc. and on the dashboard I have two 4 objects. 1 including the raw data for three scenarios (GDP1, GDP2, GDP3). And the same with the bottom of the dashboard, but for moodys. Is there any way you can think of that will allow me to select which Measures I want to have in my dashboards, for example, I am using GDP1, and Moody's 1 - what if I wanted to show GDP2, and Moody's3, - also think that I may not want to show Moody's at all and instead a different measure. But once I select the measures would there be a way to have the dashboards populate based off my selection of measures? I do not need to worry about the tables as they will be constant, however which measures I am including within my Dashboards are not. I am required to make two charts per page.

Please let me know if you need more detail.

I have only one dashboard in the twbx, but there will be 20, 30, 40 depending on the amount of measures selected.

Thanks

Jordan

• 3. Re: Dynamic Dashboards: Selecting which variables to be included in dashboards
              Joe Oppelt

Maybe this is a good case for popping and swapping.

There is a video about that here:  We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Fi... |Tableau Community

In the attached I made a new dashboard.  I have one container that swaps Moodys and GDP sheets as selected by the user in the [Data to view] parameter.  At the top of this container I have a text box that displays the value of the parameter to label the sheets.  (You can't use sheet titles when you swap.  Titles will always display, even if the sheet itself is blank.  So you need to handle labeling other ways, and text boxes is one way to do that.)

Next I exposed the Measure Names filter.  You can let the user select here.  The problem with exposing Measure Names is that you cannot shrink the list.  It's Tableau's property, not the application writer's.  So you can't just show GDP stuff for the GDP sheets, and Moodys stuff for the Moodys sheets.  Even more, as I demonstrated here, all your own calcs that are measures will also show up here.  (Notice that Calc1 is in the list.  I created that just to demonstrate this issue.)  But still, this lets you open the list to the users who can now select what they want to see.

NExt problem:  You can't do "Apply to worksheets" with the Measure Names filter.  So I have to have two of them on this example, one for GDP and one for Moodys.  To handle that I have put both in a container, and used "popping" to expose the correct one to the user based on the parameter selection.  ("Popping" is also demonstrated in that video.)  So you can see how that is working I have floated the filter container at the top of the floating list in Dashboard 3.  But you want to do it as it is done in dashboard 2, where that filter container is floated BELOW the data container.  That way your users will only see what is appropriate for their selection, and the rest is hidden behind the data container.  (Note:  I colored the data container white to make it opaque so none of the activity behind it shows to the user.)

And what about "Measure Manes for Moodys" when GDP is selected?  When this is published to server, the user won't see what extends beyond the boundaries of the dashboard itself.  It will be invisible to them.

But if someone is going to be bothered by seeing that extraneous filter hanging off the dashboard in Desktop, you can mask it off like I did in Dashboard 4.  I just floated one more container over it, colored it white.  Problem solved!

See attached.