6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 12:08 PM by Joe Oppelt

tiled containers

David Lu

I am having a real tough time dealing with tiled containers and sheet swapping.  When I add additional graphs and charts into a container, the sizing of the visuals get distorted.  When I try to fix the sizing, things unexpectedly pop out of containers and several other new containers are created.  I've tried to keep things very tidy for containers, but Tableau is creating a bunch of new containers that I do not want.  Additionally, whenever I try to resize a particular graph or chart, the formatting for all of my sheet swapping goes out the window. 

Are there any tips on how to use tiled containers effectively? 

• 1. Re: tiled containers
          D Barnetson

Hi David,

I feel your pain. Tableau's containers have been the Bain of my existence over the years, but here is what I have learned:

1. Plan out your dashboard, taking in to consideration, which sheets you want to be combined and which you require to be separate. There are many options.

2. Be patient, be very patient!

3. Depending on your dashboard, floating sheets may be the way to go if you have space, but you do not want to cram the sheet in with another graph.

4. Remember to be patient....it does take time to figure those containers out, especially when you start getting more complicated with your dashboards. (Yes, I did mention being patient twice... )

There are many examples out there to help you. I've provided a few helpful links to get you started.

Tableau Layout Containers: Part 1 - The basics - YouTube

https://www.interworks.com/blog/tspaulding/2013/08/07/understanding-layout-containers-tableau

Quick Start: Layout Containers

Resize and Lay Out Your Dashboard

Good luck and I hope this helps

Don

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: tiled containers
            Matthew Risley

I learned some things from this video by Andy Kriebel: Layout Tips for Long Form Dashboards - YouTube 

Don also had some fantastic points!

However, the biggest part is the planning process. and here is a tip I was taught at Tableau training:

- Draw/Sketch out dashboard on paper.

- Two sheets next to eachother? draw a horizontal box. Views stacked on top? Draw a vertical box.

-FLOAT the tiled containers that are needed in the sketch.

-Add the sheets inside the floated tile containers.

-Now that you have the "pieces" to your dashboard in order just drag the floated tiles where you want them.

Hope that helps!

• 3. Re: tiled containers
              Joe Oppelt

Do you remember back in grade school, there was one kid who just got on your nerves all the time?  And there was another kid who was your very best friend?

For me (and I want to be clear, this is just my own opinion based on my own style of doing things), "TILED" is that kid who always ticks me off, and "FLOAT" is my very best friend.

And it is even more so if I am doing sheet swapping.

I can work with TILED, but the people in the adjoining cubes often hear ripe words muttered from my desk when I am doing so.

My advice is to float everything.  You get far more power (and artistry!) when you float stuff.  You can do magic with it.

• 4. Re: tiled containers
                D Barnetson

I agree with Joe, though it would be nice if the backgrounds of floating sheets could be transparent. There would be much more flexibility.

• 5. Re: tiled containers
                  David Lu

Thanks so much Joe Oppelt, D Barnetson, and Matthew Risley!  I've always developed with floating containers and found it much more flexible.  However, the team I'm on now develops exclusively with tiled containers because of how it renders on various screen sizes.  Hearing all of your opinions have been very insightful and helpful.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: tiled containers
                    Joe Oppelt

OK, then.  If you want to make sheet swapping work in a tiled area, first make a floating container that will contain your swapped sheets.  Give it a fixed size.  Drag all your sheets for swapping into it.  Then drag that container into place into your tiled space.  Make sure it still has a fixed size after it pops into its tiled location.  Your sheets should swap properly within that space.