2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 11:36 PM by Ashish Chaudhari

Simple heat map question

alex horn

Hi all,

I'm trying to put these Colleges on a U.S. map and show their measure (MLB Baseball All-Star game appearances by graduates) in a heat map type  but having trouble. This is for a class project. The data is good, but I'm new to Tableau and can't seem to map it right. Please help! Thanks! - Alex

tableau ss.png

• 1. Re: Simple heat map question
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Alex

I don't understand your request well, but guessing below.

With ctrl key, put green pill on Column shelf to Color instead of College ID ??

Thanks,

Shin

• 2. Re: Simple heat map question
            Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Alex,

Since you are very new to Tableau, I would request you to go through the shelves in Tableau. As you can see that you have put College ID in the color section. Since this is the Dimension (textual column), it will assign each and every id separate color. If you put any of measure (Numeric values like Sales, Profit, Discount, Number of Records etc) in Color, it will create a color scale (its color can be customized as per your need) and it will be applied to each and every bar depending on the value.

Eg. (Light Blue to Dark Blue)

I hope this explanation will help you in understanding, how it works. What shin has replied will surely help you out with your requirement.

You can read more about heatmap on below link. Above is the simple bar chart with the effect of heat-map depending on density of the measure.

Build a Heat Map

-Ashish